heres a different topic!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I'm wanting a change in career (to plumber), The following are my problems though, I have to keep my current job as it pays £17000+ and I have bills to pay so i cant take a drop in wages. Theres only one course available to me as a part time, one day a week course that last 33 weeks, 'certificate in plumbing'. Yes just the one thats suitable to my availability. Even after this course will I have to take a drop in wages or will i be able to get 17k as a plumbers mate, or with transco/BG ?

anyone else thats recently got into the game in britain, (im in newcastle upon tyne by the way)

I work for mcdonalds at the mo you see and i don't really think its a lifetime career for me, so i want to get out while i still have something to offer even if it is just my young age! cheers in advance Gaz :D

Sponsored Links
I've been thinking about a similar thing, out of interest (hope you don't mind me asking) but how much does a course like that cost?

This is my own personal opinion.

Its nice to see that you are taking the iniative (going on a course) but personally i think you would be wasting your time and money.

To be a tradesman you should serve an aprenticeship (these are usually about 3 - 5 years in duration)The pay is very low, you have to do the meanial things (make the tea, sweep up etc) But at the end of it you will be a fully qualified tradesman.

As i said starting pay is very low (nowhere near 17K)

I would suggest that you ring the local companies of your choice of trade and ask them if they take on aprentices, they will pay for you to go to college.

My nephew is on an aprenticeship to be a chippy, he did as i said rang all the companies he could find that do carpentry, his brother is also going to do the same but become a sparky

By going on a course your self you only get a piece of paper that says you can do the job, being an aprentice means you get the experiance in "the field" just going on a course is ok, but doing it in the class is very different than doing it in the field.

I say all this because many moons ago i did an aprentice ship, i do not work in the same field as what i did my aprenticeship was in but it has been very useful

you may also find this to be of use

Good luck :D

Sponsored Links
:confused: £230 ish, is what the one @ newcastle college costs!

And cheers Breezer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back