Herringbone Parquet Flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have already asked about this but need a bit more advice. I am having a flooring laid in herringbone style parquet.

I know people have said that i should have a base of 6mm ply which should be glued or stapled to the floorboard which are secure.

The guy who is fitting this is old school and has been doing this for years, he told me he would put the blocks which are approx 15mm thick on top of 5mm hardboard which would be stapled and glued to the floorboards. Which i thought was the stuff which is smooth one side and rough the other. I challenged him on the hardboard and told him to he should use 6mm ply because the hardboard would not be good enough. It turns out that it is OIL TEMPERED HARDBOARD and not the cheap stuff. Is the OIL TEMPERED HARDBOARD ok for a base instead of ply?

Another thing has anyone got any tips.

My fireplace hearth is 3/4 inch and may sit below the herringbone wooden blocks is there anything that can make this look neat instead of butting up to the blocks any advice?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back