Hey audio visual experts, I’m looking to get a new telly, can any of you offer any advice on these two TV's?

Just an update on the TV. It's great! Remote control is fine - I found I could 'adjust' the aim of the remote to get the pointer spot on but really, it’s not needed. The price recently went up to £1,100 but has settled back down to £1,000 so £850 was a bargain. One thing I’ve not learned how to do (and I don’t even know if it’s possible) is to record one programme to a USB stick while watching another or even continue to record a programme to a USB when you switch the TV off. Can that be done? Any ideas?
Tv will continue to record after turning off tv, as long as you don’t power off at socket .
Don’t know of a modern tv without this feature .

Sponsored Links
Tv will continue to record after turning off tv, as long as you don’t power off at socket .
Don’t know of a modern tv without this feature .
Can guarantee mine doesn’t. Doesn’t it cut the power to the USB sockets when switched off?

One thing I’ve not learned how to do (and I don’t even know if it’s possible) is to record one programme to a USB stick while watching another
Step 4: To switch to another channel while recording, simply press the “Input” or “Source” button on your remote and select the desired channel. The recording will continue in the background.
The LG doesn't have dual tuners, so it can record one channel, but you won't be able to view another.
However, as Freddie states, you will be able to view a different 'Source'.

Sponsored Links
Read the first post he bought another tv for his wife. I refer to his original older tv.
Didn’t buy it for the wife. Bought it as a replacement for our Panasonic that had an intermittent line through the picture. Only mention of Mrs Mottie was that she put a restriction on the overall TV size. :mad:

Didn’t buy it for the wife. Bought it as a replacement for our Panasonic that had an intermittent line through the picture. Only mention of Mrs Mottie was that she put a restriction on the overall TV size. :mad:
So old Panasonic, explains a lot.

The LG doesn't have dual tuners, so it can record one channel, but you won't be able to view another.
However, as Freddie states, you will be able to view a different 'Source'.

I've yet to try it, but LG's do have two tuners - one for terrestrial Freeview, and the second for Freesat. I wonder if with access to both, you could record one, watch the other?

A USB stick is a bit limited, it will not do, all the TV can use USB for - better to fit a small USB HDD, powered by the TV. I know a 'spinning disk' works, but not tried an SSD. SSD or memory stick, might be a poor choice for longevity, if you enable live wind back - the drive has to constantly record, for that use.

Tried this?

Step 1: Connect an external storage device to your LG Smart TV, such as a USB flash drive or an external hard drive. Make sure it is formatted correctly for your TV.
Step 2: Tune in to the channel you want to record.
Step 3: Press the “Record” button on your LG Smart TV remote. This will start the recording process.
Step 4: To switch to another channel while recording, simply press the “Input” or “Source” button on your remote and select the desired channel. The recording will continue in the background.
Thanks. That did the trick. Started recording on BBC, selected my Fire TV Cube, selected the ITV X app, chose Live TV, watched that while recording on BBC1 continued. (y)

I've yet to try it, but LG's do have two tuners - one for terrestrial Freeview, and the second for Freesat. I wonder if with access to both, you could record one, watch the other?
Yes, good point.
I should have been clearer, they don't have twin Freeview tuners.
But that would definitely count as a different source, and would also require a dish connected!

I also think I have seen posts on here, saying the TV doesn't always play nicely with the twin tuners and channel choices, as it expects to use XOR Freeview/Freesat.
A USB stick is a bit limited, it will not do, all the TV can use USB for - better to fit a small USB HDD, powered by the TV. I know a 'spinning disk' works, but not tried an SSD. SSD or memory stick, might be a poor choice for longevity, if you enable live wind back - the drive has to constantly record, for that use.
LGs can be fussy with what they accept as recording media.
They will happily record to a USB memory stick, but require a SSD/HDD for pausing live TV.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back