high CO

R

ringy1

Can anyone tell me please would it be dangerous to the householder to have an outdoor heat pac oil boiler producing high levels of CO or is this only dangerous if the boiler is in the house. Weird question i know but whats the answer

Sponsored Links
It will be dangerous if you are sitting in the garden next to it, and if the Carbon monoxide can get into the house via an open window or air brick etc etc.

Why can't you just sort out the Burner, you shouldn't be getting more than 20ppm CO TBH :confused:

i just did a quick job on it, its a mates boiler who lives down the road he asked me to tune in the burner for him so i renewed the nozzle a .65 80H set at 8.5 bar pressure its an open flue boiler that was put out the back and they have it incased. But when i drilled a hole in the flue and did i FGA the CO shot up and all the readings where all over the place and it was like that before i touched the boiler so i adjusted the damper to let in more air but the CO is still flying up and reading all over place. could it just be sooted up inside the boiler that could cause this cant remember the make of the boiler but the burner is a riello G3 because its one of them old boilers where the baffles cannot be removed like the old ferroli oil boilers. the flue looks fairly shabby its aspestos flue its a bit of a mess. I suppose i just changed the nozzle that was it and then did my FGA straight away for him because he just told me to just tune in the burner for him. So what ya reckon

It sounds as if you were trying to be helpful for little or no payment and have come across a total mess.

Thats why doing work for friends shuuld only be at full market rates.

It may well be totally sooted or have other faults.

I imagine thats a nasty job to desoot it.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Check to make sure any baffles in the combustion chamber are correctly located and the flue path through the boiler is not compromised.

Also check air path in is clear particularly when the casing is on.

If measurements are outside the manufacturer's specs, the boiler is faulty and potentially dangerous. You won't be doing your friend any favours by leaving it as it is saving a little short term, and probably costing a lot long term.
If you borrowed his car and the brake warning light flickered, but only in right hand turns, would you advice him to wait bringing to the garage until the light was on solid?

Ok this is what happened the boiler is an open flue boiler which was in the house they then wanted to move the boiler outside but they did not buy a new balenced flue boiler (heatpac) for outside so they just moved the open flue boiler outside and boxed the boiler in in an enclosure that they made up for the boiler, it has a closeable door on it with a latch which they keep closed. this box has no vents in it for combustion and there is only a hole drilled in it for the flue. So if i clean this boiler fully for them and set the burner up for them as soon as that door is closed they are going to be back to square one in no time with a sooted up boiler producing high levels of carbon monoxide due to lack of oxygen, would ye agree with me? They need vents in the enclosure to solve problem. when i did my FGA the door was open but the boiler was not cleaned it was sooted up so this would of produced high levels of CO and my reading all over the place regardless if the burner was burning properly due to the sooted up boiler and i right in saying that too?

These are total ,bodgers who dont want to spend a small amount to have the boiler properly and safely relocated!

The question that comes to my mind is who fitted the boiler dangerously.

In my view you should refuse to have anything to do with it unless they agree to pay yuo properly to sort out all the problems and make it totally safe.

Tony

since i was the last person that went near this boiler would i be held neglegent for the boiler if anything happend even if i warned them bout it, even tho i did not fit the boiler outside.

Warning label it and cut it off as there is signs of spillage(soot) and it failed its telegan test.
Quote for and fit a new one for them
Simple

Went back explaned the hole situation, then his wife told me that her brother built that enclosure round the boiler and then she pulled out 2 vents from the garden shed and said thats what theses must of being for, and he never fitted them :rolleyes: . At least i know what to look out for in future lession learnt as far as im concerned

Put your warning to them IN WRITING!!! keep copies, you never know when the coroner will come knocking :eek:

ive took a photo of the installation and wrote a small report and got him to sign it. I felt a bit embarassed getting him to sign it cause i know him, but ya can never be to sure anymore the way things are.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back