High mains pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am getting very high pressures on my incoming water mains. I measured between 10 and 12 bar (couldn't be more accurate because the needle on my gauge went right round to the stop at the beginning of the gauge!) and SWW have now confirmed 11.5bar which was also stated to be 'rather high' by the SWW man.

Apparently there is no maximum pressure offered only a minimum and I have been offered/supplied with 3 PRVs for self fitting to protect the in house pipework to each flat.

Is this correct? Shouldn't SWW fit them for me? Shouldn't SWW pay for the fitting as this will cost me a few quid to do as there are 3 flats each with separate connections?

Sponsored Links
You will have to pay for their fitting,its unheard of the utility companies coming and fitting Pressure reducing valves for you ,after the stop cock or meter it becomes the respionsibilty of the owner

sorry to be bearer of bad news

Most people complain about a lack of pressure tipper, you should be grateful!

Is the high pressure causing problems? It is high but I would think plenty of houses round the country have "rather high" pressure at times of low demand.

If there is no reg stipulating they should protect your property(ies) from high pressure then 3 PRVs maybe the best you'll get from them.

Devon & Cornwall are renowned for having the Highest water pressure in the country.....you lucky people (no shower pumps and whole house booster pumps for you) these cost serious money to fit, thames water don't go around fitting booster sets for the good people of London, so why do you think SWW would fit pressure reducing valves for you the cost of a good quality PRV - about £100 so stop complaining and enjoy your shower!! ;)

Sponsored Links
A house I partly own in has an instantaneous (under the counter) water heater. It's got a seperate expansion vessel and a prv set at 4 bar. Over the last couple of years, we've gone through 3 expansion vessels which have leaked - the manufacturers have told us that they should be sound up to 4.5 bar. So much for the prv then :confused:

(So we're about to fit a pressure reducing valve and set it to 3 bar)

Jmlanders I am glad you got there in the end!A professional would have done this in the begining :p

Jmlanders I am glad you got there in the end! A professional would have done this in the begining :p

With 479 (and counting) posts in 13 days, as well as self-appointed censor and arbiter of others' posts, I doubt he has the time for anything else.

Hope I haven't offended his sensibilities!

but he only owns part of a house :LOL: - not a Rachmann yet ;)

There's something ever so annoying and superior about Lord Landers.
Thank you for your valuable input. 90 posts over 2 years - I'm honoured that you consider me worthy enough to spend one of your rare, yet noteworthy contributions on.

Not sure what you're banging on regarding arbiter etc :confused: Have you been at the bottle again?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back