High socket for tv

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a new tv and want to mount it on the wall but do not want cables hanging down to the socket. I want to mount a double socket down from the ceilingand put the tv ariel beside it.

Its in an upstairs bedroom and cant link into any ring mains as they aall come form the floor up. Would it be ok to take a 13AMP spur from the shower supply and run my socket from the spur? If so can i just thake the supply from the live side of the shower switch? Or join in a connection box in the attic.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's messy but acceptable providing the design is adequate. Personally, I wouldn't do it.

Do you need two outlets or just the one for a small TV?

How's the loading on your upstairs lighting circuit?

Obviously it would be better coming from the upstairs ring final.

i no it would be better commung from ring. But there is none in the attic. Im not totally sure of the load on the lighting. Its for a tv and probably a dvd player but nothing else.

Is there an airing cupboard or cupboard nearby that you can run a cable in from a nearby socket?
Or perhaps a disused immersion switch?

Sponsored Links
no unfortunatly there is absolutly nothing handy. ONly power supplys i cant get to easily is lighting and shower.

Any hollow walls you can fish a cable through to an existing socket?
Or any other kind of void?

Is damaging any plasterwork an option?

Any rooms where mini-trunking would be acceptable?

Don't like the idea of spurring off a shower circuit.

Because it's a poor design to have it connected to the shower circuit. If you really can't access any of the other socket outlets in the bedroom for a spur then I would probably look to the lighting circuit, assuming it's not running a high load.

Maybe look at using 5A sockets/plugs for the dvd/tv supplied from the lighting circuit? Then nothing else should be getting plugged in.

MKK0771.JPG

TLPT5.JPG

Is your lighting circuit RCD protected?

I think the first couple of replies mis-read and thought you said lighting circuit.

I'm not a pro so i'm happy to be corrected, but I don't think a 13A fused spur is rated for a shower circuit which might be 40 or 50 Amps.

You could wire two round pin 5 amp sockets from the lighting circuit.

Remove the plugs from the tv and dvd player and fit 5 amp round plugs.

Be sure to include earth connection to these sockets, and use earth sleeving over the bare earth wire.

Best to have 13 amp socket on the socket circuit tho.

EDIT; too slow.

I'm not a pro so i'm happy to be corrected, but I don't think a 13A fused spur is rated for a shower circuit which might be 40 or 50 Amps.
I dont think thats the issue.

The issue is that most shower circuits run at their limit by design.

I think the first couple of replies mis-read and thought you said lighting circuit.

I didn't misread his post.

ok thanks so spuring off the shower is a no no. Im an electrical maintenance ina factory and was just always told its ok the spur off something bigger as long as protected with a fuse. Must be different for houses.

Thanks everyone

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back