Higher gas readings since meter change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help that has experience with gas meters. Since having my gas meter changed by british gas my readings have almost doubled. My wife keeps weekly readings and these have been very regular over the last three years, but since the Gas Company came and changed the meter we seem to be using almost double what we are used to. Could this be a fault with the meter calibration, if so how do I go about getting it checked. I know I have to talk to the Gas company , but would like a bit of history on this type of thing for some ammunition when speaking to them

Bob

Sponsored Links
Was your Old Meter an Imperial type i.e. CuFt/hr??
Your new one will be metric i.e. CuMtr/Hr

This could explain the differing readings - metric meters have no Wheel dial so on the new meter the 2 right hand digits are acutally to the right of the decimal point i.e. Tenths & hundreths of a cu/meter.
:idea: Watch your first utillity bill to make sure they are not appliying the imperial to metric correction factor as it will quadruple your bill :!: ;)

It's not beyond the realms of possibility but for a new meter to measure double the actual gas comsumption.....well very unlikely.Are you sure you are reading correctly and also you new meter is now metric and your old one may have been imperial.Just a few things to consider as you have to pay the costs if your meter is found to be accurate.

are the meter readings for the bills actual or estimates

the company's have a habit off bumping up estimated readings by say 25% or so per subsequent reading until you send in your own reading

you may have had a bit off an under estimation before and an over estimation now

Sponsored Links
to answer all in one. The meter I have now is a G4 model and at the end of the numbers instead of units
it is the Mcubed figure.

Just had a look at my old bills and they were Imperial units and from the look it appears this one is metric. The conversion method used was Imperial units x Metric conversion 2.83xCalorific value39.1792xto convert to kHw 3.6 =gas used expressed in kHw

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back