Hijacked Thread

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A thread I started was hijacked by someone who just spent their whole time being extrememly unpleasant, very insulting, and entirely off topic.

Several times I (and others) pointed out that this poster was missing the point (aka hijacking).

The moderator response was to (a) lock the thread and (b) ignore my email to them asking why.

Sponsored Links
A thread I started was hijacked by someone who just spent their whole time being extrememly unpleasant, very insulting, and entirely off topic.

Several times I (and others) pointed out that this poster was missing the point (aka hijacking).

The moderator response was to (a) lock the thread and (b) ignore my email to them asking why.

If that was me mate then I am sorry, ie unless you are Softus who deserves every stick and stone thrown at him. It is very unusual for a mod to lock a thread without explaining why. And even if they don't at the time, they will, if pressed, come up with a reason afterwards. I cannot for the life of me, explain, why an e-mail on a forum such as this, would go unanswered. Unless that is, if the mod concerned, was in fact, the member making the 'off-topic' replies.

lindsayg said:
Do you mean this one?

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=108763

Unless I've got the wrong topic, that argument was about safety, and each side was missing the other side's point.

That's actually very commonplace, for this site.

Some Moderators are on the ball :)

There was a long conversation going on when a third party butted in with the standard 'I've got a very similar problem' excuse followed by about a page of details. I decided not to tell the writer that he was hijacking, instead I pressed the Alert Moderators button, selected 'Other' and wrote Hijack as the reason.

When I looked again this morning - the Hijack had completely disappeared.

Well done Moderator :)

Sponsored Links

Yes, that's the one.

Unless I've got the wrong topic, that argument was about safety, and each side was missing the other side's point.

It wasn't about safety, it was about rip-off quotes. It had absolutely nothing to do with safety, and I even went and took photographs and posted them to clear things up.

The trolling hijacker just got ruder and ruder and more and more unpleasant - in the face of me and others pointing out he was arguing the wrong point until the lock.

The thread was about getting quotes. Never about safety. Oh, until it was hi-jacked onto the subject of how I don't know what I'm talking about. Which - on the subject of a switch I fitted myself - I do.

It wasn't about safety, it was about rip-off quotes.
Now you've missed my point - I said that the argument was about safety.

It had absolutely nothing to do with safety, and I even went and took photographs and posted them to clear things up.
I know that your topic was originally about a price for a quotation, but with electrical work safety is of direct relevance to cost. You could probably find someone cheap, but they wouldn't have the ability or equipment to carry out the necessary testing.

The trolling hijacker just got ruder and ruder and more and more unpleasant - in the face of me and others pointing out he was arguing the wrong point until the lock.
I'm not supporting anyone being rude, I'm just pointing out that both arguers failed to understand each other's point(s).

The thread was about getting quotes. Never about safety. Oh, until it was hi-jacked onto the subject of how I don't know what I'm talking about. Which - on the subject of a switch I fitted myself - I do.
I have to say that I think you're unaware of how little it is that you know.

I have to say that I think you're unaware of how little it is that you know.

Well I have to say that since you have never met me and know nothing about me you are unaware of how little you know.

Frankly.

Now I understand how you got your very own thread.

What?

So your comments of "friendless cretin" & "idiot" were not?

As far as I could see, everyone posting there was trying their best to point out that, while £150 was agreed by all as too much, the job did involve more than just a screwdriver.

And the only person I could see being insulting was you.

I am not looking for this thread to be locked, too, but is that fair comment?

one of the moderators emailed me a while ago from a yahoo? account. who was it?

Sponsored Links
Back