Hikvision cable advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've just bought a hikvision kit, 4 cameras and a recorder. The cameras have a port for an ethernet cable and a short flying lead for the dc supply.

I wanted to have all 4 cameras, their power cables and ethernet cables going to one location where the recorder is.
The longest run is about 25m. When I've looked to size the power cable ( the camera says 12 volt 5 amp) it looks like I need a thick cable. I was thinking bell wire! Any idea what size cable I really need?

Sponsored Links
Post spec of camera and recorder
Most cameras can be wired with cat5/6 cable or coax
You my require a a power cable as well (alarm cable)

If your running POE you will find them connections for a power supply are redundant.

Camera kit as follows!
Hikvision Hiwatch 1-4 camera 4MP
DSC_1039.JPG
DSC_1047.JPG

DSC_1046.JPG

Sponsored Links
Says it on the camera box POE. Means you should not need a separate power supply if the NVR has POE ports.

A lot of cameras come with a connection for power depending on setup.

... ( the camera says 12 volt 5 amp) ...
It says 0.5 Amp to be sharp

As replied above - POE cameras so you can get power from NVR by cat5 cable
Menwhile if any problem with power supply of NVR or it turned off your cameras are also loose power

You can use stand alone power supply with back up battery to power up cameras and it requires to run another cable to each camera (usually 8 core alarm cable). Some extra job but makes camera able to record on internal SD card even if NVR is no functional.

Would only be worth it if the cameras have SD card slots and you want to put an SD card in each camera. Otherwise a waste of time. The better option would be battery backup the NVR with a UPS so if you have a power cut cameras and recordings will continue for as along as the battery can last.

Edit
Just checked the model of first camera you posted, does not have SD slot also not sure if you are aware but you have bought 2 axis cameras meaning unless you have bought the mounting brackets they need to be mounted on ceilings not walls as they won’t turn.

Info from product site
Important Note: This is a 2 Axis camera, this means the camera is ideally suited for being mounted on a ceiling - if you need to mount the camera on a wall it is advised you use the DS-1272ZJ-110 Wall mount bracket. If you do not use the wall mount bracket the camera will only be able to point directly forward when mounted on a wall.”

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. The 5 amp vs 0.5 amp my mistake/ bad eyesight. I bought one dome camera, to be mounted off the underside of the porch ceiling , no door, so it should cover entrance and some of front path. The other three are all turret cameras which I planned to mount on vertical walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back