Hikvision NVR HDD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, looks like the HDD in my Hikvision NVR is goosed. It's a WD Purple 3TB and it's less than 4 years old so a bit disappointed. Just wondering if anyone can recommend a relaible 4 - 6TB HDD? I've been trawling various forums it sounds like some use enterprise grade drives such as WD Gold. Or do I just go for another WD Purple and hope it was just a one off ? Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

Sponsored Links
WD Reds are good for NAS. Should be able to get a 4TB for under £100.

Hikvision recommend Seagate Skyhawk and Toshiba S300 surveillance drives, according to https://learncctv.com/how-to-choose-the-best-hard-drives-for-dvrs-and-nvrs/ Check out the manuals/specs for your particular version/model of NVR?

I've had a 1TB WD CE drive fail in my Humax Freesat PVR many years ago relatively quickly, but another is still rattling along since April 2017. I've had WD and Seagate NAS fails also (one in warranty that failed again). All makes of drive have fails. (Some users fit Purples in Humax PVRs).

Do the drive SMART stats for hours run, TBytes written, Temps, etc.,. give any clues to the reason it has gone wrong? Can it be 'repaired' by software and any dodgy sectors permanently retired from use?

Sponsored Links
I only fit WD purple or seagate Skyhawk had the odd one of each fail ….but in all fairness it can be down to the environment and power cuts / people switching the power on / off at site without powering down the dvr/nvr
i wouldn’t touch the Toshiba since It was rumoured they are going bankrupt!

I only fit WD purple or seagate Skyhawk had the odd one of each fail ….but in all fairness it can be down to the environment and power cuts / people switching the power on / off at site without powering down the dvr/nvr
i wouldn’t touch the Toshiba since It was rumoured they are going bankrupt!
Thank you, much appreciated. I think I will just go with another purple to be honest, less than £100 for a 4TB isn't bad at all. To be honest the drive is still working, it's just the NVR woke me up in the middle of the night beeping, and it's showing bad sectors. I keep it in the loft, it can get hot up there during summer but not ridiculously hot, and I never turn it off and if I do I shut it down properly. I did read on another forum to avoid the 3TB size Purple drive as for whatever reason the are more prone to failing. How true that is I don't know, might be total BS. As Rodders suggested I'm wondering if I can connect the drive to a windows laptop and repair the bad sectors ? Thanks again all.

You can pick up a 4tb seagate on eBay ( new with probably the same date code as other retailers for £70 ) check date code when buying …

Look on ebuyer website , this is on eBay from ebuyer

Attachments

• 27D90F2A-D6A3-40F5-B464-DC14BA8B49E6.png
    27D90F2A-D6A3-40F5-B464-DC14BA8B49E6.png
    653 KB · Views: 74
Hi all. Purchased a WD Purple Pro 8tb HDD and I have gone to install it, but my NVR is seemingly bricked. It was working absolutely fine, other than showing that the HDD was faulty. I shut the NVR down properly, swapped the hard drive and since then it doesn't boot. It turns on, but thats it. I have put the old hard drive back in as I didnt want to keep switching the thing on/off on the main power button as I didn't want to damage the new drive. Anyhow, I have downloaded the latest firmware onto a Windows 10 laptop, pasted it to the Tftp folder and run the software, but it doesnt do anything. I changed the ethernet ip address to 192.0.0.128 but the laptop just doesnt seem to be able to connect to the NVR. When I try running the TFTP software the ip address in the box isnt what i set it to, its 127.0.0.1. Any ideas how I can resolve this ?? Any help much appreciated.

No, tried booting with old HDD and no HDD. When I unplugged the hard drive at first it looked like it was going to boot, it started beeping, and the start page loaded but then it went blank. The model is DS-7608NI-K2/8P

It's started booting on the old drive now, the firmware hasn't updated it just decided to start working. But I shut it down, switched it off and fitted the new drive again but it won't boot on the new drive. Bloody thing.

Where did you get the 8tb hard drive from ? Also check any capacitors on the main board for bulging…..

I bought the hard drive from Broadband Buyer, can't see anything abnormal looking on the PCB

You can update the firmware via usb ….ive seen faulty drives make the machines take an eternity to boot up ….

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back