Hinge tape on new uPVC doors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have just had a uPVC front and back door fitted but are getting draughts. Mostly through the hinges but also along the bottom of the doors. I have checked the frame and found that the hinge side is about 4-5mm bowed. The company who installed the doors is telling me that 3mm is the allowed tolerance. I am convinced this is the reason for the draught.

When the fitter came back to check he said there should be draughtproof foam tape in the hinge so he put some in. I am not convinced this is correct, the foam tape is sticky on both sides so when the door is closed bits of the foam have stuck to the frame. He guarantees me that this is a manufacturer standard and that the sticky wears off. Well I'm not convinced, does anyone know if that is correct?

Thanks for your thoughts!

He is also suggesting that a thicker gasket be put in the frames which should resolve the draught problem. Again, I'm not overly convinced but am prepared to see if it does.

Sponsored Links
they've just stuck a few bits of glazing tape against the hinges- the double sided tape is for securing glass units not for draught proofing they are feeding you crap ! obviously they can't be bothered to fix it properly the gasket comes with the frame so its not that either put a piece of paper against the frame then shut the door it should grab the paper then you know its a tight seal

Hi Pinnacle69, thanks for replying.

That is exactly my opinion, should there be any tape on the hinges at all? Obviously there is a break in the gasket running down the door where the hinge is which is why they are saying there should be bit of tape there. As for the gasket in the frame, they are saying there are two thicknesses, I'm not sure whether this is true or not. I have already tried the paper trick and it does slide out easily from the middle!!

Tape on hinges is standard procedure from the manufacturer?????!!!!! Is this a wind up?? First time I've ever heard that!! I think the 3mm tolerance is in reference to the manufacturing side which required by British Standards not on a frame being bowed by 3mm due to poor installation! If every frame was allowed a 3mm tolerance nothing would open or close!! Ask for their door fabrication specification sheet, see if there's any mention about glazing tape/double sided tape. Get them back, you are well within your rights

Sponsored Links
Hi DHFrames,

Thanks, that is what I assumed. I will ring and ask for the fabrication spec tomorrow, I'm sure they won't show me a copy mind you!

As for the 3mm tolerance, that is quite interesting, I thought he might be telling the truth there but obviously not. I have managed to find out the manufacturer, was thinking I might ring them and ask a couple of questions.

Would I be right in saying the only fix for this is to fit new frames and that I should insist on that or money back? Or take 'em to court if it goes that far.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back