hip roof on extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, need advice. My extension is ready for the roof timbers an would like to do it myself. The house has a ridge an a hip. The extension will have the same. The extension is set back 1meter at the top front. I know the ridge should be in the middle, soi think it will set back behind the main ridge. I think it will be between two rafters. I would like to know what is the best way to conect the ridge to the hip. Also the width of the extension is 83 inches wide does this mean the new ridge will be 83 inches long. Also what is the best way to attach the hips to the ridge. i know the bottoms will be birds mouthed onto the wall plate. Any information would be really apreciated diagrams anythink thanks Carl.

Sponsored Links
The ridge board will 'float' for a while until you have pitched up the commons or jacks, as the final position of the ridge board (height and center) is determined by the rafters.

Once in position you can then fix a resting timber to the underside of the existing rafters and fix it to this though it may not be necessary.

We have even put the correct angled cut onto a ridge before and secured it to a plywood gusset/plate fixed between the rafters, though this method is a bit mor fiddly.

You wouldn't normally cut a ridge board to length prior to fitting, rather you would let it overhang until you have some of the roof pitched.

On a hip end, you would fix the last pair of commons (if there are any), then fix a ply gusset to the apex of this pair of commons, then fix the central common (perpendicular, to the gusset) then fix the hip blades onto the notch either side of the central common. The ply gusset needs to be deep enough to collect the splay cut on the hip blade.

If you have never done a cut roof before then you have picked a difficult starter in a hipped roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back