Historical ceiling height regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear Experts,

I understand that there is currently no practical restriction on low ceiling heights, but that there was such a regulation in the (distant) past. Does anyone know exactly how long ago this was?

I'm curious about a space which was not converted when the rest of its building was divided into flats in the late 80s / early 90s. A friend has suggested that this wasn't possible because it has low ceilings - thought they actually aren't much lower than mine. Is this plausible in that timescale?

I'm in Scotland, if that makes any difference.

Thanks, Phil.

Sponsored Links
I'm not aware of any historical minimum ceiling heights except on fire escapes in anything other than dwellings and above any stairs. But not that familiar with Scottish Regs, though they're largely similar to England.

I recall a long thread a few years ago where we discussed this, with dates and regulations and stuff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back