HIV and Criminalisation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There have recently been some successful prosecutions regarding transmission of HIV.

I am off to a conference in a couple of weeks where this will be debated.

What are your thoughts?

Do you think that someone should be prosecuted if they transmit HIV to their sexual partner(s)?

Heres a link re this topic

http://www.avert.org/criminal-transmission.htm

Sponsored Links
My personal thoughts are that you practice safe sex until you consider yourself a couple. Then get an aids/hepatitis test and have the results announced in each other's company. Only idiots sleep about without protection.

While you are on-line Julie, I've read that the big problem is infected immigrants looking for life extending drugs turning up at GU clinics. What is the true situation?

joe-90 said:
While you are on-line Julie, I've read that the big problem is infected immigrants looking for life extending drugs turning up at GU clinics. What is the true situation?

I have posted info re this recently

The fastest growing group of HIV infections is amongst heterosexuals. This is because of 'imported' HIV being brought into this Country from abroad from Countries such as sub saharan Africa

I'll post the link of the thread where this was discussed and you can see the figures for all groups etc for yourself.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=51841&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Hope this is the info you wanted ;) :LOL: :LOL:

PS Just realised I haven't answered part of your question - there are more people generally turning up for HIV tests or because they are not well - obviously in relation to the groups that this affects and the dispersion of asylum seekers/refugees throughout the Country more of the bigger cities are seeing an influx of non uk born people being diagnosed HIV positve and requiring medication. The medication costs approx 15,000K per year per person

Hi Julie,

My own views on this are that if someone has HIV and KNOWS they are infected and then goes on to have sex with someone without warning them then yes, they should be prosecuted. I would say this about any STD though.

I do think that contraception is the responsibility of both parties and that's not the issue - what about a split condom?

Really, unless you are in a completely monogamous relationship and have both been tested negative for HIV & other STD's then the only sure fire way of avoiding contracting HIV or any other STD by sex is to abstain!!!! I'm not simple, I know condoms can be an effective method of prevention. But, as I said earlier, they can always split!

Good luck at the conference xxx

Sponsored Links
I agree brightness about the split condom issue, but I am curious how many use this as an excuse for their own stupidity.

I was told men visiting prostitutes will pay the girls more if they let them do it without a condom. The dirty dogs then go home and put their wives/partners etc, at risk.

Julie, is there any truth in this or is it a myth?

Brightness said:
I do think that contraception is the responsibility of both parties and that's not the issue - what about a split condom?

Contraception per se (to avoid pregnancy) is the responsibility of the woman only.

notb665 said:
Contraception per se (to avoid pregnancy) is the responsibility of the woman only.

Think I'll read the replies from a distance. ;)

notb665 said:
Brightness said:

:eek: And just exactly what century are we living in? It takes two to make a baby in case you hadn't noticed!

Sooooooooooo, if you had unprotected sex with a woman and she got pregnant then the baby would be nothing to do with you notb665?

LMAO, funny but the courts wouldn't see it like that.

I hope you haven't got or never have kids - I bet they'd feel really wanted.

"Daddy how did we get here?" "Oh, ask your Mother sunshine, it's her fault" Charming I'm sure!

Before I reply to Brightness, can anyone say why avoiding pregnancy is the responsibility of the woman only?

BAS, what do you think about the figures in the HPA link Julie provided for Joe?

I accept these people are ill and don't personally blame them for looking for the best treatment they can get, but £15K a year is a lot of money considering the NHS appears to have financial problems anyway.

I accept that drug development costs are high, but wonder if its time we looked to see whether there are excessive profits being made by someone here.

notb665 said:
Before I reply to Brightness, can anyone say why avoiding pregnancy is the responsibility of the woman only?

You appear to be contradicting yourself, have you made a typing error?

paulbrown said:
notb665 said:

You appear to be contradicting yourself, have you made a typing error?

Erm, not sure, don't fink so. I will re-word it:

Contraception is the woman's responsibilty, not the man's.

Brightness said:

"Daddy how did we get here?" "Oh, ask your Mother sunshine, it's her fault" Charming I'm sure!

Yeah thanks, Brightness. That is harsh and cruel. You don’t even know me and I would never cast aspersions on how you are with a part of your life. An apology would not go amiss. I am brilliant with children. I love kids. I love making them happy, something I didn't have much of. I am godparent to 5 children, (from 4 different families) and have been asked to father children from six women. I am in no way bragging but they know how fantastic I am. At family events I have a reputation as the kid’s ‘entertainment committee’ – animal balloons, magic tricks, music, games etc. I do it because I like it and it is better than talking to some adults; Brightness. My wife and I are planning a family for next year. I have been getting the house ready for 3 years and it is nearly ready. It is already wonderful. The advice from this site has been invaluable and I really appreciate it. It is very important to me that my wife and child will be happy. Women and children are very precious.

However, contraception is a woman’s responsibility. Women have the most to lose from having children. They carry it for nine months, and pregnancies are demanding, physically and emotionally. A pregnancy takes a lot of effort. Towards the end of a pregnancy and near the birth women need a lot of care. Then there is the birth itself. Childbirth is extremely painful and even carries the risk of death. After a birth a woman needs time to recover, more so if it has been a difficult birth or a Caesarean. During this time they need care and support. A man has 2 minutes (lol) of input.

The point is the man has nothing to lose and can disappear. He can walk away from a pregnancy, a woman cannot. A man has relatively little input into a pregnancy and has no risk to himself. And it is easier for a man to walk away from a child as the mother-child is the most sacred and strongest bond there is. It doesn't matter what the courts say, the point is if the courts can find him, and then if he pays up. This is why traditionally men are ‘easier’ than women, as men could input less energy, they have a choice, whereas women have to invest a lot of energy, they do not have a choice.

notb665 said:
Brightness said:

Yeah thanks, Brightness. That is harsh and cruel. You don’t even know me and I would never cast aspersions on how you are with a part of your life. An apology would not go amiss. I am brilliant with children. I love kids. I love making them happy, something I didn't have much of. I am godparent to 5 children, (from 4 different families) and have been asked to father children from six women. I am in no way bragging but they know how fantastic I am. At family events I have a reputation as the kid’s ‘entertainment committee’ – animal balloons, magic tricks, music, games etc. I do it because I like it and it is better than talking to some adults; Brightness. My wife and I are planning a family for next year. I have been getting the house ready for 3 years and it is nearly ready. It is already wonderful. The advice from this site has been invaluable and I really appreciate it. It is very important to me that my wife and child will be happy. Women and children are very precious.

However, contraception is a woman’s responsibility. Women have the most to lose from having children. They carry it for nine months, and pregnancies are demanding, physically and emotionally. A pregnancy takes a lot of effort. Towards the end of a pregnancy and near the birth women need a lot of care. Then there is the birth itself. Childbirth is extremely painful and even carries the risk of death. After a birth a woman needs time to recover, more so if it has been a difficult birth or a Caesarean. During this time they need care and support. A man has 2 minutes (lol) of input.

The point is the man has nothing to lose and can disappear. He can walk away from a pregnancy, a woman cannot. A man has relatively little input into a pregnancy and has no risk to himself. And it is easier for a man to walk away from a child as the mother-child is the most sacred and strongest bond there is. It doesn't matter what the courts say, the point is if the courts can find him, and then if he pays up. This is why traditionally men are ‘easier’ than women, as men could input less energy, they have a choice, whereas women have to invest a lot of energy, they do not have a choice.
some women also walk away ;)

i would agree to a point that a woman has more control than a man on wether to get pregnant, and it also takes two to tango. on the original question if you knowingly pass on an STD then you should be prosecuted.
Also unprotected sex is not the only way to contract HIV.

Sponsored Links
Back