Hive - grant vortex pro 21 combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

im having problems trying to wire my single channel hive receiver to the Grant vortex pro combi oil boiler.

Power comes from the fused spur to the isolation plug on the boiler, I’ve then linked the line and neutral in the plug for power to the Hive receiver.

on the boiler I’ve taken the central HEATING ON to the receiver 3 ( also tried 4), and linked the Line to 1.

any help would be much appreciated ! Dave

Attachments

• E31EE797-E35B-4574-855D-6CD9D9F515CE.png
    E31EE797-E35B-4574-855D-6CD9D9F515CE.png
    365.5 KB · Views: 101
Sponsored Links
This a external combi?
What controls do you currently have?
Strictly speaking you should have 2 channel hive as building regulations ask for hot on an oil combi to be timed.

Last edited:
Page 22 the wire from L3 goes to terminal 4 at the hive and L&N as you say and link L&1 at the hive, you will need a link in L&L2 at the boiler for your HW , but as already said by @Exedon , it would be better if you got the dual channel hive then you could control both CH and HW from your phone etc

Last edited:
Cheers Guys, I do have a dual channel as well so I’ll try that this afternoon and get back to you.

Dave

Sponsored Links
Yes it’s an external boiler but it’s in an out house with a grant green system flue, at the moment I don’t have any controls on it, so the only way to get the heating on is to use the service switch which gives you 15 mins of heat, it’s very economical but the wife’s starting to moan now winters on its way lol.

Cheers Guys, I do have a dual channel as well so I’ll try that this afternoon and get back to you.

Dave
The dual channel hive wiring is completely different to the single channel
boiler hive
L to L
N to N
L2 to 3
L3 to 4

all from the control connector of page 22 on the installation manual, do not make any links

The dual channel hive wiring is completely different to the single channel
boiler hive
L to L
N to N
L2 to 3
L3 to 4

all from the control connector of page 22 on the installation manual, do not make any links
Hi Ian
ok I’ve installed the dual channel as per the manual and your directions , using the thermostat to turn the HW on/off works fine, but when I use the thermostat to turn the CH on / off its switching the receiver ( green light on/ off ) but it’s not turning the boiler on !
theres a link on the boiler behind the CH/ HW connection, which says Timer could this have anything to do with it ?
this does seam weird as the boiler will fire the heating if I use the service switch.

Hi Ian
ok I’ve installed the dual channel as per the manual and your directions , using the thermostat to turn the HW on/off works fine, but when I use the thermostat to turn the CH on / off its switching the receiver ( green light on/ off ) but it’s not turning the boiler on !
theres a link on the boiler behind the CH/ HW connection, which says Timer could this have anything to do with it ?
this does seam weird as the boiler will fire the heating if I use the service switch.
Using the service switch simply over rides the external controls so the boiler is fine ,

sorry my bad try permanent live linked to L3 at boiler, and Hive 4 to L1 at boiler

page 23

Using the service switch simply over rides the external controls so the boiler is fine ,

sorry my bad try permanent live linked to L3 at boiler, and Hive 4 to L1 at boiler
Cheers bud off to bed as I work nights so I’ll try it tomorrow !

thank you for your help !!!

I have attached the manual with the wiring diagram on my last post, on page 23, let me know how you get on
Hallelujah !!!!!! It’s working !!
this has been causing me Agro for months ! Started off with the twin channel but just using the one channel like I’ve done on another boiler -didn’t work
so went and bought a single channel receiver and thermostat - didnt work

so as you advised Ian I put the twin back on but with the hot water connected - still didn’t work ! Went to do a continuity from the hive back plate to the PCB connector for the HW all good, then tried the CH all good but noticed the cable from the ISO plug into the PCB connector was in the adjacent hole to where it was supposed to be !! swapped it over and voila it fired up !
Used to call myself a sparkie years ago ! think I might keep this one under my hat lol.

Ian thanks for all your help ! Dave

Hallelujah !!!!!! It’s working !!
this has been causing me Agro for months ! Started off with the twin channel but just using the one channel like I’ve done on another boiler -didn’t work
so went and bought a single channel receiver and thermostat - didnt work

so as you advised Ian I put the twin back on but with the hot water connected - still didn’t work ! Went to do a continuity from the hive back plate to the PCB connector for the HW all good, then tried the CH all good but noticed the cable from the ISO plug into the PCB connector was in the adjacent hole to where it was supposed to be !! swapped it over and voila it fired up !
Used to call myself a sparkie years ago ! think I might keep this one under my hat lol.

Ian thanks for all your help ! Dave
We have all been there Dave, always something stupid that we didnt check , enjoy your new controls

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back