Hive single channel install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello - I asked a friend to install a Hive receiver for me, after they thought it was finished (paired in the app) they left.

It was never tested and now when testing the receiver is working but the boiler isn't kicking in

This is how the wiring has been left and it looks nothing like the Hive install guide - Any advice ? I get I might have to bite the bullet and get an electrician but the guide makes it look simple

Note wall like that for years.

1712681803067.png

Sponsored Links
I don't suppose you have a photo of what was connected there before?

That is definitely not the standard wiring for a single channel Hive install.

Do you know where the cables pictured here go to?

...I think you need to sack your friend! ;)

Reactions: CBW
Never got one :(

Annoyed I never got the photo before so I can't put the old stat on, I can't find a guide that has colours that match this either

Never got one :(
I'm sorry.
Annoyed I never got the photo before so I can't put the old stat on, I can't find a guide that has colours that match this either
I'm afraid it will be a case of tracing the cables back - one may connect to a fused connection unit, the other to the boiler?
...and you mention an old stat - did this replace the old stat, or a controller?

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
Sorry should say programmer, I was told to leave the old danfoss above it and leave it set to 30 degrees.

I can't see any screws on it, it looks quite old, 100% no screws on top, bottom or side

Can we just check what boiler you have?

Behind the Hive, can you differentiate the 3 core and earth cable that doesn't have the grey connected?
This appears to be the superfluous cable to the Danfoss, the black and brown wires to this can also be disconnected - and the cable removed if you wish - it should be simple, if you can take the cover off of the trunking.

Valliant Ecotec pro 28, can only really see whats in the photo sorry

Valliant Ecotec pro 28, can only really see whats in the photo sorry
Ok, if you don't want to mess around with any more wiring, and you definitely have a single channel Hive.
Simply move the link wire connected between L and 2, to L and 1.
It may seem straightforward now, but we needed to check that nothing silly would happen!

...and the connection to the earth terminal could be improved, while you're at it :)

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back