Hive System. Removing old room thermostat from system.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I installed a Hive system a few months ago and all has been working ok since. However the old room thermostat that was on the old system is still in situ and wired into the system. What I would like to do is remove it altogether but unsure as to what to do with the wiring in the thermostat. Dont want to connect / disconnect the thermostat to find out my hot water or heating no longer works. Pics enclosed of wiring. Hive system is for heating and hot water on an old boiler.

Attachments

• P1040828.JPG
    P1040828.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 1,049
  • P1040827.JPG
    P1040827.JPG
    195 KB · Views: 929
  • P1040826.JPG
    P1040826.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 1,054
  • P1040821.JPG
    P1040821.JPG
    179 KB · Views: 1,024
  • P1040820.JPG
    P1040820.JPG
    178.3 KB · Views: 1,008
  • P1040819.JPG
    P1040819.JPG
    192.9 KB · Views: 909
  • P1040818.JPG
    P1040818.JPG
    233.2 KB · Views: 1,027
Sponsored Links
The old wired Honeywell thermostat needs to be decommissioned properly to prevent it interfering with the operation of the Hive. It can't simply be disconnected as this would leave the heating wiring 'open circuit' and it would not operate.

The thermostat can be decommissioned in three ways as described below. Number 1 is the best method and would be the method used by professionals as it allows the complete removal of the old thermostat and the wires going to it. Usually a single 3 core cable is used, however as you appear to have two black wires at the thermostat, it may be that two, 2 core cables have been used instead and one of the red cores have not been used, but it is impossible to confirm from the photos. If you find that you have something different, and are unsure how to proceed, post back what you find.

From the information you posted, the existing Honeywell thermostat terminals can be identified as follows:

Capture.JPG

Method 1. Trace the thermostat cable / wires back to their origin. Note where the wires are connected, disconnect them all. Then insert a link to join together the terminals where the 'live supply' and 'switched live' wires (those presently going to the Honeywell 1 & 3) originated from. Or...

Method 2. Remove the existing thermostat and replace it with a junction box, connect the 'live supply' and 'switched live' wires (those presently going to terminals 1 & 3) together and isolate the neutral (terminal 2) separately. Or..

Method 3. Leave the existing room thermostat in place and move the 'switched live' wire from terminal 3 and put it in terminal 1 with the 'live supply' wire.

Thanks for your comprehensive reply. Will take a look at the weekend and let you know how I get on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back