Hive v1 Install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When installing the new unit, is it as simple as replacing the old unit with the new unit and rewiring? My old heating/hot water, wired, Honeywell programmer is located in a cupboard, in a different location from the boiler.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Assuming the plumbing arrangement of your system is already suitable in that it has a motorised valve, or valves, (it's not a combi if you have hot water control from a programmer) then it all depends upon the existing control components that you have, their physical location to each other in your home, and the wiring preferences of the person that installed it. The Hive comes with detailed instructions but it does need to be installed by someone that has basic wiring skills, and is able to understand how heating system controls are wired. You will have to reconfigure / re-route wiring from any existing hardwired room thermostat.

All the wiring interconnection information you need for the Hive can be found on page 6 of the manual. You can download a copy here. For hot water control you will need the 'dual channel' version.

If you want more detailed help, you will need to provide details of your current heating system components (eg make & model) of thermostat, programmer, motorised valve(s) boiler etc., and how they are wired together. Photos are often the easiest way, if they are clear enough to show what goes where.

Thank you very much for your response. I've uploaded a few pics showing current programmer (honeywell), wiring in current programmer, and pic of boiler and tank. Hopefully these will help. My new hive device appears to require 6 wires, but my current honeywell programmer only has 4 wires going to it - earth, 2 lives and an earth. Can I simply use these 4 wires or is it more complicated and additional wiring needs done? If it's more complicated I'll of course get a qualified electrician to sort the job, but I was just trying to sort it myself if easy job.
Thanks.

Attachments

• 20161026_164931.jpg
    20161026_164931.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 375
  • 20161026_180145.jpg
    20161026_180145.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 357
  • 20161026_180326.jpg
    20161026_180326.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 315
  • 20161026_180326.jpg
    20161026_180326.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 307
  • 20161026_180350.jpg
    20161026_180350.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 356
Thanks for the photos that makes it much easier.

Yours looks a reasonable modern installation (some resemble more of a rats nest) so it shouldn't present too much of a problem. Unfortunately the green / yellow wire is being used as a live conductor, which is bad wiring practice. However they do correspond with the Hive nicely as below, so it will swap straight over. But do make sure your hive is the dual channel version with hot water control. Your type of system doesn't need any connection to terminals 1 & 2

Terminal N Black wire
Terminal L Brown wire
Terminal 1 (Not used)
Terminal 2 (Not used)
Terminal 3 Hot water 'on' Grey wire
Terminal 4 Central heating 'on' Green / Yellow wire

If you have an existing room thermostat, that won't be needed anymore as the Hive takes care of this function. So, you have a few choices.

1. Leave it in place and set it to the maximum setting, the Hive will then take control
2. Remove it, and connect the two switching wires together
3. Disconnect it from the wiring centre and connect the two switching wires together there

The preferred option would be number 3, the the room thermostat and the cable to it could then be safely removed, and there won't be unused live wires left in place. I can't advise further on this as you didn't give details of it.

Sponsored Links
Thank you very much.

I'm not why that live wire is earth colour, though I presumed it wasn't actually an earth.

My programmer has a wireless thermostat which I've located in a different room, so no wires to worry about then I presume. It will be redundant.

I'll give that wiring a go later when home from work.

My programmer has a wireless thermostat which I've located in a different room, so no wires to worry about then I presume. It will be redundant.

Ah OK, if it's part of the programmer, then it will be a straight swap.

Thanks for letting us know how you got on. It helps others that may come across this thread when searching for the same thing.

What a good thread, the poster asked a question and got a brilliant and concise answer to the problem in hand!
I know this is what is meant to happen but lately instead of answers OPs just get insults.
Well done Stem!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back