Hmm, self-build self-wiring consideration

So the NHBC guy will be happy to provide a 10-year guarantee to an installation done by an inexperienced person, with little or no knowledge of wiring principles, or regulations to wire up a WOODEN building?

I don't think so.

Sponsored Links
So the NHBC guy will be happy to provide a 10-year guarantee to an installation done by an inexperienced person, with little or no knowledge of wiring principles, or regulations to wire up a WOODEN building?

I don't think so.

what specifics would you do for a wooden building then?

metal backboxes in the walls? ( intumescent ones from TLC? )
fire hoods on the downlighters?
interlinked smoke alarm in the loft space?
specific cables?
trunking and conduit install?

NHBC and LABC will be involved. Not just one of them.

No. The NHBC can be instead of the LABC.

As for the wooden building, the NHBC guarantee is for structure. It's not a substitute for insurance.

Sponsored Links
I've asked NHBC the question - they said they require a certificate that the electrical installation was by a competent person.

Im pretty sure all the NHBC do is inform the LABC at various stages and show them the various certificates etc. There are several independent Building Control companies which you can employ instead of the LABC :)

what do the NHBC accept as a "competent person" though? do they mean a member of a scheme or any person deemed competent ( IE a qualified but not registered sparky )?

Just to finish this off, we will shortly be starting the electrical install, with a Part-P registered electrician who I know personally and who works with a friend of mine and comes very highly recommended indeed. I will work with him as his labourer.

All bases covered, save a bit of money by me working as a labourer, his price came in just under what I had budgetted for, job done :)

thanks for all replies :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back