Hob and cooker in an island unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My plan is to move the hob and cooker into an island unit. I have a number of queries regarding the wiring limitations and regs.

The cooker control unit is sited on the wall opposite <2m away. Both oven and hob have a 1m cable one with a plug. Can I...........

......route a 6mm cable from the cooker control unit, down the wall, under the floor [via a groove cut into the floor slab] into a junction box screwed to the floor under the oven?

I will be employing the services of a qualified sparky however at this stage I want to know if this can be achieved before I start ripping out the old kitchen.

cheers

Sponsored Links
The isolation for a cooker has to be within a set distance, I think it's 1000mm as an absolute maximum. Logic being that a pan fire or fault might need immediate switching and hence why it should be close to the cooker.

The normal job would be to provide the cooker switch on the side wall of the island and have a tail between that point and the cooker.

You might also need a double socket for the hand appliances and should also consider power for the fan canopy above the hob.

Thanks for that.

In my experience, which is not much and some research in to the regs I have come across two problems with mounting sockets on the island unit istelf....

1. Is the island considered part of the fabric of the building?
assume this is to do with potential of the sockets being distrubed.
2. the cooker control unit needs to be above the level of the cooker.

Any thoughts??

cheers

To get around 1, have the island as a "plug in module". You install a 32 amp ceeform socket on the floor, into which you plug the island. Wire the island as required, as if it were a normal circuit. Have another ceeform if you have 2 circuits (sockets). This way you're treating the island as a piece of furniture. You could put wheels on it if you wished, to clean underneath.

If the switch must be above the cooker (cant remember this being applicable) then use a pull cord hung from the ceiling above the cooker :LOL: But I'd suggest using a contactor to avoid silly long runs of thick cable. In all honesty though, I cant see the harm in mounting a switch on the side of the island.

Sponsored Links
The isolation for a cooker has to be within a set distance, I think it's 1000mm as an absolute maximum. .

The distance is 2 metres maximum.

I would rather see the isolation switches on the island itself where they are obviously relating to the local appliances than across the room behind the toaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back