Hob/oven wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Currently replacing my kitchen and upgrading the oven and hob. The oven is currently run from its own 30A supply but the hob is connected to a 30A ringmain. The new hob is a Neff ceramic and I suspect it needs its own 30A supply. Is it at all possible for an electrician to wire the hob with the oven to the existing 30A supply for the oven. I know ideally both should have their own supply but I can't see how the electrician is going to be able to run a 6mm cable back to the consumer unit. I haven't taken delivery of the hob yet so can always try to source a hob that can simply connect to the ringmain if they still exist.

Cheers for any advice

Sponsored Links
The oven is 5.9Kw, can't find any info on the hob but aren't hobs generally more than an oven. I read somewhere on the forum about something called diversity, not sure what that is exactly but i was hopeing it took into account the fact that the hob and oven are never going to at their max power rating although i could be talking rubbish.

Just done a google regarding diversity and have found the following information.

The first 10A is counted and then 30% of the remaing amps. therefore presuming the oven is 6Kw and the hob 7Kw (both over exaggerated) then the total amps will be 54A.

Therefore first 10A + 30% of 44A is 13.2A, giving atotal of 23.2A. Am I correct in thinking my existing 30A cooker wiring will be Ok for my new hob & oven. There will be no socket outlet on the cooker isolation switch.

Sponsored Links
Your electrician could use one of these to connect the oven and the hob.
Diversity for the oven works out at 9.5A or 14.5A if the cooker control unit has a socket.

Thanks for the reply. Another bizarre question but will it be Ok to have the cooker isolation switch within a kitchen cabinet. The isolation switch for the oven is is currently on the wall but we are installing tall larder type kitchen units so instead of moving the isolation switch can it simply be placed withn the cabinet.

So long as you've got easy access to it. I.e. it's not going to be hidden by all your cornflake boxes.

I don't eat cornflakes. Will it still be OK in the cupboard?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back