Holding a slate in place

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First of all sorry for the ignorance here but I'm no roofer !!

We've got a damp patch with all the rain just above our bedroom window and at first I though the cavity wall guys had forgot to fill in one of their bore holes.

When I've got up the ladders I've noticed one of the first slates has slipped into the gutter hence water has been getting underneath the slate directly behind and then running into the cavity.

I've placed the slate back but my question is how do I secure it ?

The slate has two holes in it which I assume were nails/tacks but how does the nail go through without cracking the slate underneath ?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
It doesnt crack the slate below it, because it doesnt touch it. The hole of the slate that has slipped, sits above the top edge of the 2 slates below it.

But you need to get into your local builders/roofing merchant and get a slate hook, or copper/plastic/lead slate strap. Or you could just stick it with pink. Best use a strap though :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back