Hole in cast iron soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would any body know of an easy way of repairing a hole in a soil pipe. Its cast iron. Is there a way of repairing this as its on a sweept tee? Will add photos and a better description tomorrow but getting S**t off the missus at the moment LITERALLY!!!!

Sponsored Links
Cut a piece of plastic soil pipe larger than the hole Clean the patch area off and then get your silicone out along with a handfull of tie wraps or some flashband.
Then paint it so it doesnt look totally naff.

Welding cast iron is not an easy task so unless you know an expert at it don't bother.

You could always renew the stack. It ain't too bad a job if its external. That is assuming your house isnt too high :confused:

Sponsored Links
i was thinking about some gauze and a fibreglass body filler? is this allowed on soil?

I'm only a lowly htg engineer so not sure of the regs?

Dan, your welcome to tell her that but i doubt it's going to go down well!! I must admit your braver than i thought!!! lol

Amazing how brave I can be when it's not my wife ;) :oops:

Slug's idea is one we have tried with good results in the past.

Make sure you've had your shreddies in the morning though.

If the hole has rusted from the inside then much of the pipe may be ready to fail as well.

To do a repair, rather than pay a lot for something new, I would just cut a small piece of copper sheet from an old cylinder and angle grind the area around the hole and then epoxy the copper onto the cast iron.

That would do a good repair at no additional cost as I already have standard epoxy.

Tony

Not enough information, but I doubt it's a hole. :eek: Cast iron is more likely to be split/cracked.

I have holes in one of mine John! Luckily its on the vent section.

Tony

Its not cracked. Its rusted and pitted on the inside and has formed jagged holes about 10-20 mm across with very thin edges.

Tony

How about one of those bandages you get to repair car exhausts?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back