Hole in uPVC window frame normal??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house (built 2013) has a non-opening uPVC window which has started leaking. Inspection outside revealed a big hole near the bottom, partially covered by a plastic strip (left). A neighbour's window has the same plastic strip but no hole is visible (right). Presumably the strip covers some kind of hole.

Does anyone know if it's normal to fit windows like this? If so, should there be a big rough hole like the one shown?? (I've never seen a window frame with external holes.)

I've reported it to the developer but expect them to say it's normal and merely stick a bit of mastic over the hole, or something. I would be glad of any advice.

Sponsored Links
That is a drainage slot, it allows water to drain out of the hollow pvc frame, they then tidy it up with a cap that clips on, the slot should be a nice tidy 1 inch long and level, looks like your slot was drilled on a windy day,I guess all you can do now is situate the cap higher up to and hope you don't see the slot underneath

As mentioned its a drainage hole and unlikely to be causing your leak.
Adjust the cap up or put a small bead of silicone to make it look neater, Just dont block it up.

Can you show some picks of the leak area?

Sponsored Links
A drainage hole on a welded corner? Seems unusual to me...?

I'm assuming from the picture that its a diamond shaped window in which case its the only place for it really

Unless the op has a thicker sock on one foot or maybe is even stood with one foot in a hole?

Definitely looks upside down.

The mortar around the frame also is looking very poor for a 1 year old house.

Well, its in poor condition for something 1 year old anyway. Looked like light mortar to me.

As mentioned its a drainage hole and unlikely to be causing your leak.
Adjust the cap up or put a small bead of silicone to make it look neater, Just dont block it up.

Can you show some picks of the leak area?

Here is a pic of the inside: not much to see except a water stain and the sealant has separated from the frame.

But I'm curious why you said the hole is unlikely to be causing the leak? The site manager might well say the same thing and I need to know whether he's right.

To me (not an expert), a downward facing hole makes sense for drainage but an upward facing hole looks like it would just let water in rather than out.

Thanks a lot!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back