Hollow sound in glued-down wood floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After applying a sealant, our installer glued down an engineered wood floor to a concrete base (which he first leveled by sanding it down). A few weeks later, several (but not all) boards began to end-lift. In other parts, tapping on the floor produces a hollow sound. He "injected" more glue to deal with the hollow sound, but more hollow spots seem to be appearing elsewhere. He proposes to deal with the end-lift problem by replacing the problem boards (and will re-apply sealant). He used the best Bostik glue and sealant. I am very anxious that the entire job has gone wrong? Will his solutions work? What is the best way to deal with both problems? Should I be worried??[/b]

Sponsored Links
Could be several things:

A) concrete base to 'wet' when glueing the floor
B) wood to wet
C) not enough glue used.

Dud your fitter check any moist-levels in concrete and wood?

The concrete base was not wet or moist at all: it is an old concrete foundation and a moisture check (conducted in my presence) revealed little to no moisture throughout. The wood (Anderson, Hickory, 5 inches wide) rested for a 7 days in our house before it was installed. He did not specifically check the wood for moisture before installing it, however. If (A) and (B) are not the problem, does this suggest that he did not use enough glue??

Assuming that there may be more hollow spots, long does it take for hollow-sounding spots to appear?

Many thanks for replying.

other possible causes for not sticking contamination dust oil grease on either surface

Sponsored Links
ievans said:
The concrete base was not wet or moist at all: it is an old concrete foundation and a moisture check (conducted in my presence) revealed little to no moisture throughout.

What is little to no moisture? 5 ,4 3, 2 % ?
It shouldn't have been more than 2.1%

ievans said:
If (A) and (B) are not the problem, does this suggest that he did not use enough glue??

Could be, but also what big-all says could have happened.
I haven't heard of Bostik and neither have ever seen an ad of their products for wooden flooring in trade magazines for wooden flooring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back