Holy s**t! ive fried my CPU!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Did a rather daft thing earlier, I unplugged the CPU fan so I could swap the ram without the ruddy wire getting in the way, bad idea. Fitted the new ram & forgot to plug the fan back in! doh!

Anyhow the old dinosaur fired up a bit quicker until about 10 mins later I could smell summat burning & the machine rebooted itself, so I checked the CPU temp and it was 112oC! So I left it to cool down & thought surely i`ve fried it, but amazingly it booted up & appears to be working as normal. Could I have done any permanent damage to the CPU or the board?
:oops:

Sponsored Links
possibly, but wait and see how it goes. you could have been lucky in that it restarted before any damage was done

most motherboard have a failsafe to reboot when the CPU temp gets too high, If its working now then youv'e probably got away with it.

you most likely didn’t hurt it too bad, i burn motherboard before i burn processors, so as long as you have a good motherboard you should be ok.

Sponsored Links
if its an older pc it probably doesnt have thermal cut out... depends on the processor..

i am guess its not a P4 (as they shut down) or and AMD athalon or later (they crash)

alot of the older processors although can be damaged by heat are not as sensative to it as the new ones..

in short.. hey if it works... don't complain or the big bad pc demon will steal your files while you asleep....

Back