Homark Fan oven cuts out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

got an old Homark electric fan oven. Using the oven is ok up to about 150 degrees, it operates normally, ie warming-up then light goes off when at right temp., but when it's set to about 180 and above, it cuts out after about 5/10 mins. I assume it's a thermal cut-out, as it doesn't trip in the fuse box. After say 10 mins it can be used again.

Would this be the thermostat, the cut-out or even the element? I've heard that ovens can cut out when reaching a higher temp because the element is duff.

I've replaced the oven element once before, but I've never dealt with a thermostat or cut out.

Cheers,

Pete

Sponsored Links
It could be that some insulation is missing somewhere and part of the oven is getting too hot. Alternatively it could just be a faulty TOC (thermal overload cutout). Is the fan working OK? There might be a couple of TOCs fitted so you need to find out the location of the one that's tripping. The easiest way to do this would be to get the oven out and remove panels to expose any TOCs. You would then run it until it trips, cooker switch off and then check the TOCs with a circuit tester e.g. a multimeter set to ohms. If one of them gives infinity ohms you can check it again 10 minutes later and it should read 0 ohms. You need to remove at least one wire from the TOC before checking or you will get misleading results. It wont be the normal control thermostat but a small square or round device the size of an oxo cube or a rollo toffee.

Thanks for that fidom,

I think I've found the problem whilst looking at it. There seems to be only 1 x T.O.C and one of the leads to it had gone brittle where it attatched to the T.O.C and had all but snapped. It's not possible to shorten it, so I'll replace it if I can source one and take it from there. If it still happens, I know where the T.O.C. is to test it.

Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back