Home Alarm System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have searched online for a GSM home alarm system and Visonic, Yale, Infinite Prime and CommPact seems to be the most popular ones, what are your thoughts and which one you suggest me to purchase?

Also I'm not good at DIY so I will get a professional to install it for me.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
AFAIK the GSM module will merely text (maybe also call?) you to inform you that an alarm has occurred. I have a Honeywell Galaxy G2 alarm and have added a £50 ethernet module which connects to my home router. I have full control of my alarm via a phone app (or any internet), so I can see which zone set it off etc, and cancel/reset the alarm remotely. It's a self monitoring service costing from one quid/month and gives me emails/texts/voice calls for events as required. Google selfmon for more info on the monitoring, or do a search on here for Galaxy, which should throw up some ideas on how much it would cost for the components of a Galaxy alarm.

If your not installing the system EightyTwo is spot on ask the installers to quote you and you can ask questions about the systems on here.

You want something that more than one alarm installer installs in your area, as if things go wrong and the company you bought it from goes out of business you still have options.

Not everyone will look after diy alarm systems that you can buy from a diy store.

Sponsored Links
I have rang two installers today and one said he installs Scantronic alarms and the other one installs Texecom alarms, I believe Scantronic is not as good as Texecom but what are your thoughts?

Is GSM more reliable than using telephone to contact you when alarm is triggered?

Also my house has all the alarm wires fitted when the house was built, should I go for a wired or wireless system?

I have rang two installers today and one said he installs Scantronic alarms and the other one installs Texecom alarms, I believe Scantronic is not as good as Texecom but what are your thoughts?

From tech side no difference for basic domestic system. Choice one with best price.

Is GSM more reliable than using telephone to contact you when alarm is triggered?

PSTN is usually first way of reporting and GSM is backup.

Also my house has all the alarm wires fitted when the house was built, should I go for a wired or wireless system?

Stay with wired as it more relaible and less expencive to buy and maintain.

Serg";p="3163263 said:
Rubbish, Scantronic is just not heard of as much as Texecom because they are not so much DiY orientated as Texecom.

Scantronic has been a security equipment manufacturer many years longer than Texecom

Please do not question the quality of Scantronic...it ranks up there with the best!!

The manuals are overcomplex all the same :)

BUT I'd fit a powermax complete and be done........by far our most popular install and total reliability......

If you have any DIY , you could probably fit yourself!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back