Home Buyer's Report

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Stupidly, when we bought our latest home, we didn't bother getting one.

I can make excuses about the age of the property, cost etc. but I know that in reality we should have got one done.

We plan to be here for a long time and as you may have seen in another thread, we are looking to convert the garage soon and extend at a later date.

Whilst I don't have any particular concerns about this house, seeing programs like "Help my house is falling down" etc. do make you think...

Should we get a home buyer's report done now before we spend any before any foundations and walls etc. are potentially disturbed? Would I just call a local firm and ask them to do one, explaining that I already own the property.

The house is a 1991 detached house- I am assuming a home buyer's report would be what I would be asking for rather than a full structural survey.

Sponsored Links
Why do you want to get a homebuyers report done now? In anycase they are useless with more holes and caveats than you've had hot dinners! Unless there are cracks getting bigger or other concerns there's no reason to think there may be any structural issues in which case a structural survey may be required and this should only be carried out by a structural engineer.

I suppose it is for peace of mind that if I spend a lot of money to have building work done, I am not going to find that I need the money for repairs at a later date.

I have had a couple done in the past at older homes and I agree, sometimes they can be very picky about little things or very vague about important things.

Does anyone else think I should get one done?

Does anyone else think I should get one done?
I don’t think it’s worth it either. Unless there are signs that something is amiss, a home buyers report or even a full survey will in all probability tell you nothing that a keen eye would not spot anyway. A properly conducted structural survey is the only one that will give you the perceived peace of mind you are seeking & that will cost you an arm & a leg.

Sponsored Links
Is there anything that makes you think the property may have problems?

Have you noticed damp or musty smells?
Have you noticed any problems with the electrics? Probably never been updated if built in 1991 but only 19 years old.
Does your gas boiler need servicing or replacing (if you have one)?
Have you had any problems with blocked drains?
Do all the roof tiles look sound?

Structurally, can you see any cracking?
Do all doors line up and fit?
Are floors / window sills level?

If the answer is no to the above questions then you almost certainly have nothing to worry about.

Many of the things that a survey picks up are the kind of things you will notice after living in the house for a while.

If the answer is yes to any of the above questions, call an expert in for their opinion.

Thanks everyone. Looks like I probably don't need one.

There are a couple of cracks running between tops of the internal door frames to ceiling, though these don't appear to be getting bigger.

There are big trees opposite the front of the house. (Taller than the house and probably about 2 car lengths from the front of the house) Drains seem ok- looked in the manhole covers and no evidence in there of any roots.

The gas boiler is old- and probably does need replacing sooner rather than later. - I have a relative in the trade so will ask him about this.

Electrics, a couple of mods made by previous owners, but unlikely to be something a survey would pick up on.

What trees, do you know the soil type? Are they street trees that the council is responsible for?

Couple of car lengths is about 8 metres-ish?

What trees, do you know the soil type? Are they street trees that the council is responsible for?

Couple of car lengths is about 8 metres-ish?

I believe that the council are responsible for them. One is an Oak (acorns on the ground!) about 15-20 metres diagonally from the front of the house. The others are other deciduous trees of a different (unknown to me) variety. The closest is about 12 metres straight line from the front wall.

The trees are clearly older than the houses. A neighbour had to apply for permission to reduce a tree when applying for PP for an extension. (Not sure if this gives any further information?)

Unsure of soil type as I haven't dug any holes yet!

The whole purpose of a survey is to advise a buyer if the property is worth the asking price, and if there are repairs required with cost implications

Its a waste of time having a survey now. You can walk around your house and see for yourself what may or may not need replacing in the future, and unless there is an existing sign of a structural problem, such as a significant crack.

All a survey will do is note a load of might-do's and could be's for you to worry about - exactly the same ones that existing in any property.

Do your building work, and don't worry about TV programs. A 1991 era house wont have much wrong with it that does not show in the first few years

If you are still worried then a Homebuyers Report is a waste of time and money, as will be structural survey (which will be very limited in scope). You need to ask specifically for a Building Survey of Condition aka a Full Building Survey. This will note any existing issues, potential future issues and give advice on costs and priorities.

Or you can just request a brief scoot around the house and a comment on things which specifically worry you - basically tailor your own survey.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back