home buyers vs full survey

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm buying a little holiday house, its a mid terrace Victorian "cottage". We contacted a surveyor asking for a full survey quote. Gave him the address etc and he said, he'd done loads in that row and never found much wrong. Suggested we go for a home buyers report rather than a full survey and that if he spotted anything he'd suggest a follow on assessment.

I found it odd that he'd be turning down the extra cash, and wondered if there was an advantage to him or if he was genuinely trying to save me some cash.

thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Rather than save you money, he's saving himself time.

He will just re-use the previous surveys and just change the address. A full survey will require writing out bespoke, and commenting on everything he sees.

Is it that worthless?

Its not needed for any 3rd party only my own peace of mind. I'm looking for comment on condition and repair, any signs of damp etc. obvious issues with electrics (e.g. visual inspection of consumer unit). roof space issues.. Is it worth me giving him a list?

Sponsored Links
Then commission a survey to comment on just those things that you want to know about, and not a load of waffle.

You probably need to ask the surveyor. A Homebuyers Report is a generic format licensed by the RICS, it follows a rigid "tick box" type data entry usually electronically such an ipad or tablet by the surveyor as he looks around. A lot of the Full Building Surveys are going over to this generic licensed "tick box" format although some smaller independent firms do still write proper bespoke survey reports as the cost of the license and software is rather expensive (and rather rubbish).

I can see little benefit to the surveyor either way. These days even a bespoke Building Survey Report will be in an electronic format with a lot of standard clauses and cut and paste work so I'm inclined to think the Surveyor is just being honest.

Gave him my list and he seems happy, thanks for the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back