Home made Scotch Eggs

• Thread starter herebriefly
  • Start date
H

herebriefly

Im doing curried ones today for my lunch bag through the week. Does anyone else make a home made pies / pasties / pastries as they taste so much better home made (albeit a little more pricey)?

I did see a recepie for 'rag eggs' on the interwebby which looked great... until I saw the ingrediants.

David.

Sponsored Links
so how'd you make a scotch egg then?
I do scones occasionally, bread pudding weekly ( to take to mom and dads on sunday night ), and I've got apple and rhubarb crumble in the oven as we speak.. ( for a change.. )

Being the recipient of a free complimentary heart attack last January courtesy of Heinz, Kraft, Pukka Pies and Chicago Town Pizzas et al , i endeavor to avoid pies and other such life threatening 'treats' these days.

pick something you like and let it kill you.

scotch eggs are the devils spunk.

Sponsored Links
Im doing curried ones today for my lunch bag through the week. Does anyone else make a home made pies / pasties / pastries as they taste so much better home made (albeit a little more pricey)?

I did see a recepie for 'rag eggs' on the interwebby which looked great... until I saw the ingrediants.

David.

Tart :LOL:

so how'd you make a scotch egg then?
I do scones occasionally, bread pudding weekly ( to take to mom and dads on sunday night ), and I've got apple and rhubarb crumble in the oven as we speak.. ( for a change.. )

Get 8 eggs (duck is best). (use the other two to coat the sausage meat when you adding the breadcrumbs)
Boil 6 eggs to a soft centre. Then run them under cold water for 5 minutes.
Buy good quality sausages and take out the meat. Add a tsb of hot curry powder and the same of pepper.

Chill the boiled eggs. Then mould the sausage meat around once they are chilled. Chill them again - it makes it so much easier. Then dip in egg wash and dip in breadcrumbs. Do this twice. A 'double dipping gives a better crunch.

Heat your oil to 150 in a pan (10cm deep) and fry for 10 minutes.

Job done.

David.

wait? you deep fry scotch eggs?

i thought they were oven cooked or something once the eggs were boiled..

but thinking about it now, wouldn't they have a flat side to then if they were oven cooked??? the side where they sit on the trays... :rolleyes:

Mother oven cooks them. Deep frying them sounds like a fun way to get back at her for forcing me to eat healthily :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Ahh,,, home cooking. I love it. I like making Beef Stifado and Spaghetti Bolognese (not at the same time though)

I was into indian cooking for many years, but then got into Thai and Vietnamese cooking and am now into Japanese. My sushi is better than sex with Angeline Jolie

Scotch eggs are deep fried according to BBC, Delia, and Sausagelinks, all of whom should know.

Anyway, if they're Scotch, they would be deep fried wouldn't they!

However if you hard boil the egg first, they can be oven baked 190 C / Gas mark 5 oven until lightly browned, about 25 minutes.

Sponsored Links
Back