Home made table tennis table ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, my first post here..
I'm not much of a DIY'er myself, but love to save money where possible, and will spend time and effort to do so. I will also have help and advice from friends and family in the trade.

My project is to build a table tennis table, a little optomistic for a first project, but willing to spend a few quid trying, rather than buying a stock one for over 300 quid.

I have all the gear and tools that i need, my only problem is the material for the playing surface. I have read that most branded tables use high density fibre board, of 1inch thickness. Usually in 2 halves 5foot x 4.5foot.

If I cant get High density fibreboard, It wouldnt be a problem to use MDF, or maybe even plywood of 1 ich thickness. I just can seem to find anyone who can supply sheets in this size, I can only find 4ft x 8ft which is no good. Any ideas where I can get anything 9x5, or at least 4.5 x 5 ?

Also is there some way I can "treat the wood" to make it waterproof so it can stay outside without weathering ?

If I can sort the playing surface out, I'm confident I can make the frame and supports. Thanks for any advice..

Sponsored Links
sounds like a good project,
but before you do,take a looksie in the likes of friday ad,or gumtree etc you will be amazed what comes up.
also look at it from a ifferent view,you will need 4 sheets,but you will be short on 1 side only.5'x4'.

You can get sheets of WBP (weather and boil proof) ply of the thickness you need in 10' x 6' sheets which will stay outside under a cover. It may be of a shuttering quality though. MDF won't do this at all.
I can't comment on the 'bounceability' of this material though, which could be an issue!
John :)

thanks for the info guys, I'll keep it in mind. I don't think any of the builders yards / timber yards round here stock any sheets in that size, so may have to make a special order.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back