Home Sale Advice Regarding Uncertified Work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
8 years ago we bought our first terrace house and being naive we had a builder remove the wall between kithen and dining room and no certs to go with it. He installed an RSJ from the back wall of the house to a single brick internal wall (no piers either end). This joist supports the upstairs joists and a block wall.

Now we have an offer on the house and the solicitors are asking about any structural alterations and Im getting worried, a builder that did some other work for me last year said it looked okay and an indemnity policy would be enough but Im worried this will affect the sale and dont know what to do for the best
any opinions/personal experience would be welcome

Sponsored Links
Any obvious signs of movement of said steel beam?

Do you know the beam size and clear span?

Not sure of the size of beam will attempt measure this afternoon, remember it being fairly large, span is approx 10 foot

No evidence of movement, no visible cracks anywhere that I can see either, might struggle to measure the rsj as it is all plasterboarded over but should be able to give an approx

Sponsored Links
If it is still up after 8 years then it probably is not going anywhere

This is very common and not anything to worry about, although it does create a bargaining point for the buyer, and you may be expected to knock some money off the price because of the buyers "risk". Or the buyer will just buy it

All that will happen is you pay the £80 or so for the indemnity policy.

Problems with the beam will be evident and no need for anyone to be knocking plaster off or taking floor boards up. If the buyer does get a survey done, then you would expect the surveyor to comment on the state of the structure as it is, and not go on about can't check this and can't see that etc.

And don't waste time/money getting it regularised by the council either - as that will create a whole lot of damage and disruption

I hope your right ^woody^, just got word that the surveyor is coming round on tuesday (less than a week after accepting the offer), guess we will soon find out :confused:

The missus isnt too impressed that I wont be here when the surveyor comes round, is he likely to ask alot of questions or do they just come in and do their thing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back