Knocked down stud wall in kitchen/ utility and now selling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We had a thin stud wall separating our main kitchen from a small utility area. It was a bit thinner than other stud walls in the house and 1 metre away from it was the external wall, and 1 metre away in the other direction is a boxed in beam (almost certainly) housing an rsj that probably supports the staircase ( as the staircase is just behind it in the hallway).

2 years ago we had 2 builders in to quote for knocking down the thin wall, without us suggesting anything they both were certain that it was non load bearing, identifying the rsj nearby and external wall, as well as the fact that it was so thin and flimsy and had no wall directly above it.

In the end my husband easily knocked it down himself with a hammer. There has been no cracking etc in the 2 years since. However we are now putting our house on the market and I am now feeling stressed as we never thought to look into building regs certificates or anything else that may be needed. I'm not sure whether we should mention it in the solicitors forms when it asks whether any building works have been carried out. Or perhaps we should pay a structural engineer to do a report to say all is fine? On googling, some people mention an indemnity insurance that may be worth getting?

If anyone has any knowledge of this or suggestions I would be really grateful as am feeling a bit anxious and unsure what to do.

Many thanks, Sarah

Sponsored Links
If it was a non-structural stud wall, which is non-supportive. You will not require any building control compliant certificates. Unless you have compromised the fire safety of the property, then other factors should have been put in place. But the structural stability of the building, with regards to the wall removal will have not altered.

As PBofD, certification not required for moving a non-structural wall. I wouldn't even mention it to the solicitor. Solicitors don't usually know anything about building regs or what does and doesn't need approval. If you mention this alteration to them, they will cause more messing around (and will also charge you accordingly). Keep shtum.

Sponsored Links
Thanks so much both of you for taking the time to reply, you have put my mind at rest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back