Home Security Project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After going away with the wife for a week I came back to find i had been burgled. Obviously this caused me a few issues (thank god for insurance) but the missus is driving me mad. I have a quote to have an alarm before but the prices seemed a bit excessive at the time, plus i do think i can do this myself. I have looked around at various things but im looking to avoid the b&q and wickes type of idiot diy system and go for something a but more professional looking. I have found the following and would value some of the pro's input?

Basic kit that gets me a panel and 3 scanners
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/...age=product_info&cPath=36_62&products_id=1002

i need 4 more of the scanners
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=269

Bell
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/...page=product_info&cPath=36_45&products_id=678

and a battery
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/...page=product_info&cPath=36_46&products_id=350

I cant find scantronic bell and this company assure me that this bell will work ok.

I need cable to but have a reel of telephone cable and assume i can use this?

Any comments would be appreciated

Dave

Sponsored Links
First of al they are PIR's NOT "scanners"
I would also say your battery is too small, you have no internal speaker, no door contact (never use a pir as final exit) and dont use phone cable, it solid drawn you want alarm cable, and finaly you posted it in |UK electrics, whats wrong with the alarms and telphones forum (where it should be?)

I also suggest you get several quotes, who is going to maintain it for you?

perhaps a mod will move it?

Thanks for moving it

re the battery as i understand it that is for when the power is off, as i never have any power fails do i need a bigger one?

you raise so other good points, what is an 'internal speaker' and i was going to use my hallway PIR, so i will now get a door switch.
I will also get some other cable.

I dont like to have things maintained as i have heard its 'money for old rope'

thanks again

A maintainance contract often includes monitoring, and will reduce the number of false alarms as the alarm ages - dodgy items will be replaced before they go bad and annoy your neighbours.

You know when there's a powercut and alarms start going off? This is because these alarms aren't maintained, and their batteries have gone bad (probably 10 years old), but if your battery is too small (think about what it has to power, the extra bits you want on your system) it might end up going flat before power is restored. Power outages happen more than you think, most often as a flicker, or a few minutes late at night (the number of times i've gone to work to find a power report printed by the paypoint machine, its nearly every night). Plump for a bigger battery, come on, they aren't much more expensive. ;)

Sponsored Links
With seven PIRs i'd definitely be going for a 3.2ah battery minimum. Ok you don't have any power cuts but for the cost difference you may as well upgrade. Bear in mind if the mains and battery do fail the outside bell will ring making you popular with the neighbours. I agree with breezer definitely fit a door contact as the final exit.

The scanny panel is quite a good basic unit for the money should serve purpose sufficiently. An internal speaker will mimic the noise of the alarm setting so you can hear its set from outside whether you need one depends on how close the keypad is to the final exit. Buy some of the cqr 6/8 core cable from the supplier you listed much better than phone cable which becomes brittle and is not designed for purpose.

As for maintenance it's personal choice but there is nothing to stop you from going to a local NACOSS approved company after the install and just taking a service agreement. If you don't get a company in the standby battery should be changed every 4/5 years and you should reguarly perform a walk test and bell test on the system.

7ah battery is all very well but will it physical fit in the panel?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back