Homework

Right canta, being the resident expert (well, 'teacher' anyway), do you think, is it expected, that parents should/will/need to, help their children with homework?

I ask as we do help our little'un with his and this past two weeks he's had a project to put together. Some of the parents are up in arms about it stating that it's 'too difficult' for their age groups, that they received 'little or no communication' regarding the project, the list goes on. Now, as I say, we've helped him put this project together and I know of other parents who have done the same (spoke to a few last night at the local firework display). We've all had the same communication, in fact, our lad was off ill the week leading up to the October holiday so we had to go in and ask for any homework that may have been set. So it could be argued that as a family, we have received less communication on this project than some of the other families. However, he's completed it. As I say, we've had to help him with aspects of it as he found it difficult to adhere some parts together successfully. He's pleased with his completed project and was excited at the prospect of showing the class/teacher this morning. There are some parents however, who have actually refused to complete or indeed even start the project at all due to the reasons above. So that lead me to my question above. We've never officially been told by the school that parents are expected/need to, spend time with the children (when needed), helping them with their homework. But for all of the reasons I've outlined in this thread, we choose to help ours. I suppose the question could be reworded to: Is it the right thing to do, ie parents helping their kids with homework or should we be leaving them to get on with it and just try to complete it themselves? Would that actually be more beneficial to the children? ie learning that they aren't able to do everything themselves, that they need help sometimes? I'm not asking the question to 'trip you up' or any such like Canta, I'm genuinely interested in your professional and personal opinion and input on this. Thank you in advance of your reply.

Sponsored Links
IMHO, parental assistance is always welcome. It indicates to me a collaboration between home and school, which is the way things should be. Those parents who you cite who "refused" to help are being immature and churlish; the object of the exercise is to help their child develop their knowledge and skills, and parents shouldn't rely solely on teachers to carry all the burden in precisely the same way that one shouldn't rely totally on a doctor to keep their child healthy, or the local constabulary to keep their child safe.

If someone learns, understands and engages in a particular topic, then job done.

Sponsored Links
If this is true maybe the teachers should be given homework.!

: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...hers-sums-spell.html#ixzz1d30GLP1K[/QUOTE]Not sure exactly where to begin on this extremely biased reporting. Barely a statement is given that isn't highly suspect :confused:

I would expect you as a teacher to defend your profession, but there must be some truth in the article, evidenced by the well publicized lack of basic english and maths abilities, in those pupils which are currently being taught by the education system.
Its about time somebody got to grips with the matter, maybe this minister is the one to do it.

It's late and I'm tired, but lets look at the opening sentence:
One in five trainee teachers cannot do simple sums or pass basic spelling and grammar tests
This should read "One in five trainee teachers cannot do simple sums nor pass basic spelling and grammar tests". :rolleyes:

However, the article then goes on to point out that the trainees can indeed "do simple sums" as well as "pass basic spelling and grammar tests", albeit not always the first time. Indeed it cites fairly positive first-time pass rates of tens of thousands of applicants.

If one is indeed to be so critical of some having to repeat tests until they pass, presumably one would wish to banish anyone who failed their driving test first time also. In addition, as we are well aware, the test for British Citizenship would be failed several times by a large number of "indigenous" citizens so presumably one would wish to either deport them or refuse to issue them with a passport?

Returning to specifics, do I need to have a grasp of the English grammar in order to teach mathematics? Or is it entirely necessary for an English teacher to have high levels of numeracy in order to fulfill their roles competently? I'm not so sure :confused:. (It would be a cheap but appropriate jibe to say the magic words "PE teacher" ;) )

I do concede however, that 57 attempts is a bit of a shocker. But I'd also remind you that being a high academic achiever is sometimes not always desirable in order to teach - empathy or comprehension of a child's failure to understand is a valuable asset. Several of my colleagues have first class degrees, one has a MSc and another a PhD in mathematics. This is essential for having total competence and credibility when teaching A-level further mathematics, but it doesn't make them fantastic practitioners at far lower levels of ability (comparison of pupil-test data quantifies this).

Finally, cherry picking a couple of questions is of little to no value - a complete copy of the test would (I'd imagine) reveal somewhat more searching questions which may provide a greater amount of insight of the levels of competence involved in order to pass.

edited one obvious spelling typo - before someone jumped down my throat ;) :)

Back