Honda 1.6 i-DTEC SR DASP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Offered to me, brand new, at good price. 14% off list. (including colour of choice).
Apparently excellent fuel consumption.
From Emissions Analytics real life tested fuel consumption via The Guardian.
"...The best on-the-road mileage was produced by the Honda Civic, which did 61.8MPG in the real world, though this was still 21% lower than its official mileage of 78.5MPG. The Citroen C3 was next best, with 60.3MPG, 28% lower than its official rating. The worst actual fuel economy came from the BMW X5, with just 16.2MPG, the Range Rover Sport (17.5MPG) and the Porsche Cayenne (17.8MPG), all well below official ratings...."

Current Vehicle tax £0 and £0 first and subsequent years.

Aware of new model in early(?) 2017 - but this will probably get caught in the new road tax pricing... Vehicle tax £120 and £140 first and subsequent years. Increase of £820 over 6 years.
Plus being relatively unproven in the field - so to speak.

Any thoughts ? Apart from some healthy Diesel scepticism.

-0-

Sponsored Links
Except for the usual diesel scepticism, bare in mind that Honda are not known for good Diesels either - worth doing some more research thou

If I was really keen on the vehicle being diesel, I wouldn't look to Honda unfortunately but for petrol most certainly......
HonestJohn could be worth a read, unless this particular car is too new.
John :)

Depends how long he intends to keep it. If only for the warranty period he should be OK.

Sponsored Links
Honda and diesels, my neighbour had a 2 point something Honda Accord(?) diesel, he travelled during his work, reckons it was excellent, following retirement he bought a new similar engined Civic, probably an 8th gen one - really rates it. The newer 1.6L diesel (9th gen Civic), DOHC, chained ! is 40 odd kg lighter than the 2L job...

Yep, been reading old HJ, he did try an older Civic.

He has conducted a more recent HR-V long term test using the diesel 1.6iDTEC motor.
I like his 'Actual economy' data - fuel pumped against miles covered, the only means for the normal motorist to get as near reality as forecourt pump and vehicle odometer accuracy permits.

I think, below, his 'claimed economy' is the computer readout.

I like the HRV, but 'tis more expensive and made in Mexico I believe.

"...20 November 2015: Honda HR-V 1.6iDTEC Piles on the Miles

The Details
Mileage 2,481
Claimed economy 68.9mpg
Actual economy 60.53mpg
I’m now up to 2,481 miles in the HR-V and still holding a calculated average mpg of 60.53, which has to be the best of any SUV ‘crossover’..."

He wound up at around 13000 miles over 11 odd months at O/A 58 MPG !!
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/our-cars/honda-hr-v/honda-hr-v-16idtec-now-up-to-12942-miles/

These days it is difficult to judge if a review is using manufacturer's figures, computer read out or actual fuel v. miles - Even with the latter I have to wonder if data is sound... I tend to believe HJ - he does have a reputation to maintain.

So guys what is the downside of Honda diesel engines rumour / fact ? I mean a true 60 MPG average is flipping excellent, I would think. 120PS and plenty of torque...

-0-

There's rarely any dispute concerning the fuel consumption figures but there have been significant problems with Japanese diesels.....
I don't know which engine designation was affected but the Civic was jamming up Honda garages with oil burning diesels
Toyota have a real problem with similar issues and dirt building up inside the engine
Isuzu have had an ongoing injector problem which has been haunting them from 2002.
For sure, you'll have no problems within warranty, often longer but if the car has reliability issues this will be shown in the depreciation figures and trade in values.

Friend swears by Accord diesels and has had 2 which went into vast mileages without engine problems . I'm sure it helps if you check the oil and water levels regularly.

It would worry me giving that much money to a private seller only to find he hasn't got good title to the car.

Exactly ! I have been around too long for that kind of caper.
Suspect I'll stick with Nissan :cry: in the end.
-0-

Using Renault engines!
Maybe I dreamt it, but I'm sure I saw a Renault lump in a Land Rover Freelander 2 at the weekend.

Well, the die is cast !! Honda - via 'carwow' on line, That was quite a painless process, only connecting me to participating main dealers.

-0-

I shall return when Swindon completes !

Thus far 'Carwow' has pulled the dealers sporting offers.
No dosh goes from me to 'Carwow' I deal - if I want, with the dealer(s).
'Mat Watson' - once a reviewer for Carbuyer is now at Carwow - Can also be seen on youtube...

-0-

Sponsored Links
Back