HONDA HR173 Advice

That’s how I would do it!
When you get in, the errant rod has a hockey stick end on it which bears on the end of the governor - if its a conventional design.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Engine taken apart & governer bar now fitted correctly.
New seal also arrived first thing so i just got on with it & now mower is back together & running.
At first it smokes but then cleared possibly due to engine upside down & still a little oil in the case.

Now my attension turns to having a throttle that does something where at present moving from LOW to HIGH has no real affect.
The revs are ok but that was just me guessing where i clamp down the pinch bolt on that governer bar.

So is the throttle now working as the bar was clamped in the wrong place ?

Once i had it apart there was two plastic gears & one of them had two flaps / paddles on them.This i believe is what the hockey stick hits etc.
Once back together i was able to turn this hockey stick a little each way until i hit those flaps.
I was then ok to contine & start it up

Obviously we can't tell if the rod linkages / springs etc are fitted correctly - likewise the position of the governor rod to the governor bar....without a HR173 to look at, that's going to be difficult and I'd expect a bit of juggling to get it somewhere near.
Anyway.....with the engine off and minimum throttle, expect the throttle flap on the carb to be somewhere like half open - and you should be able to move it against any spring resistance quite freely.
With the engine off and full throttle applied, expect the throttle flap to be fully open and you shouldn't be able to move it easily......the governor will take care of that once the engine is started. Any more application of the throttle should then apply the choke.

Ok
Will take a look when back later.
Do i look at the above first or look at the governer bar first ?

I will also send photos later.

Sponsored Links
OK.
Ive now removed air filter to see what we have.
Here is a short video clip.
As you can see when i operate the throttle lever sonthing moves at all on the carb.

Please advise what i need to do in order to set up the throttle cable so we can start to fix this.

Thanks

Click video link below
https://www.theremotedoctor.co.uk/forums/VIDEO/MOWER.mp4

Only because there is play in it somewhere so maybe the answer is NO

In my attached photo i assume the RED arrow is the vertical arm you meantion correct ?

There are two flaps on the carb.
If i move the throttle lever i see nothing happen but if i push it past HI to the CHOKE the i see the GREEN arrow move

Attachments

• 3651.jpg
    3651.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 102
Yes, red is the vertical arm of the governor.

It must be free to move......it controls the throttle butterfly in the carb. (Blue).
If it doesn’t move, it’s either fouling against the governor inside the engine, or the rod from the governor rod to the carb isn’t connected correctly.
I would slacken the pinch bolt and see if the arm moves then.

Ive now undone that pinch bolt to move the arm a touch.
Now done it up again & now i can move the vertical arm.

Moving the throttle lever from LO to HIGH stil does nothing BUT stil if i move past HIGH to CHOKE that still works

When you move the red arm by hand, does the carb butterfly move too? If yes, the linkage is correct.
I’d guess the entire movement of the red arm is in the region of 20 degrees, not much more.
When you move to full throttle on the handlebar, the red lever needs to pull full throttle on the carb.

Does the lever, red arrow move easily by hand, not by throttle lever, forward and back and move the butterfly lever from fully open to fully closed?
It looks to me as if the governor shaft is locked too far anticlockwise , try setting so the flat on the shaft is nearer to 90° to the lower part of the lever arm

Now being able to move that lever i have throttle & i think its now fixed.

Thanks very much

Does anyone know where to find a engine stop cable from?
Have a HR173 push mower with roller, with no cable for the engine stop.
Cheers

I think the Honda part number you need is 54530-VA9-000 but best to confirm first.
Call Gateshead Lawn Mower centre (Junglebusters) on 0191 4692020.
Brilliant firm!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back