Honeywell boiler F04 (F4) Error - Problem with Actuator?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Honeywell boiler as of today is presenting me with a F04 (F4) error. I've replaced the actuator with a brand new one however this has not resolved it.

From what I recall the actuator should receive power and move to control the flow of water; however I don't think it is actually getting any power. It is plugged into the base unit with the cable (that looks like a telephone cable) however it makes no noise nor moves by itself.

Some people suggest that I should remove the actuator and "check that it drives for at least 10 seconds". What exactly does this mean? I take it that I should remove the actuator from the 3-port valve and whilst still connected by cable to the base unit I should hear the motor inside it run. If this is the case it is not showing any sign of power. Is there a fuse for the power to the actuator?

The Honeywell Smartfit W4672A Base Unit definitely has power (or at least power to some of it?).

From what I have read the system should be able to function without the actuator in place - I just need to twist the brass shaft into either the A or B position. I've tried this however after turning the system on and waiting about 15 seconds the hotwater stops flowing and I get the F04 error again.

I think the actuator is fine as I have a brand new one and the paddle moves freely.

Another post suggests that the F04 error can be "a fault in the control box not detecting the resistance on valve" - how do I resolve this issue?

Desparately wanting some hot water and a resolution!

Sponsored Links
The Fault codes are listed in the Installation Instructions.

F04 means that the valve is jammed

a) Check Actuator is fitted to valve
b) Check Actuator drives Valve full travel. If not, remove Actuator and check Actuator will drive for at least 10 seconds (They mean run for 10 seconds)
c) Use manual lever on Actuator to free Valve
d) Check Valve for blockage and clear

Thanks for the reply.

Have seen the fault codes in the instructions however I'm having trouble understanding some of the terminology.

a. The actuator seems to definitely be fitted to the 3-port valve but will check again. The F04 error appeared before and after I replaced the actuator.
b. When you say 'drive' does this mean that the motor 'runs' or 'turns'? It is definitely not doing this and it appears to have no power. Sorry, just want to make 100% sure I understand what you mean by this.
c. I can move the lever manually on the actuator up and down when installed on the 3-port valve and when detached. When attached it adusts the flow of water between the A & B positions however the hot water heating element turns off after a few seconds and the F04 error appears.
d. Which valve are you referring to? The one in the actuator or the 3-port valve?

Thanks.

When you say 'drive' does this mean that the motor runs? It is definitely not doing this and it appears to have no power.
I assume they mean that the motor runs for ten seconds. Presumably this is the time it will take for the motor to move the valve from one side to the other.

I can move the lever manually on the actuator up and down and this adjusts the flow of water between the A & B positions.
That's good! Shows the valve is not sticking.
Which valve are you referring to? The one in the actuator or the 3-port valve?
Sorry for the confusion. The advice came straight from Honeywell's instructions!

They mean the paddle in the valve body. The actuator just contains an electric motor and some switches. You have already proved that the paddle moves. It is very unlikely that the body of the valve would get blocked up; the only way to check is to remove the valve.

You say that you have replaced the actuator and are still getting the F04 error message and the motor does not run. There are some checks you can do which are given in the Installation Instructions. Also run through the Commissioning Instructions.

Lastly, the control box could be faulty.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your speedy response - all starting to be a bit clearer now!

The first thing I did was replace the actuator with a brand new one however it does not appear to get any power as it doesn't 'drive' or show any sign of powered life. It is possible I have bought a dud however unlikely that the existing and brand new one have exact same problem.

I've tried using a new cable that goes from the base unit to the actuator however no difference. I've completely unplugged the actuator and then I get a F02 error which seems to be expected behavior when the base unit can't find the actuator. This would seem to suggest that the connection with the cable is working.

I'm starting to think that there is fuse that might have gone that is used to provide power from the base unit to the actuator. The base unit definitely has power however maybe a subsection which provides power to the actuator is broken?

Any more ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.

i've had this problem before with a f04 code done as you have changed the actuator with still an f04 showing after contacting honeywell it turned out to be the main control box at fault.
once changed all ok.

i've had this problem before with a f04 code done as you have changed the actuator with still an f04 showing after contacting honeywell it turned out to be the main control box at fault.
once changed all ok.
I was thinking along the same lines.

It might be worthwhile following the "Commissioning the System" routine on Page 8 of the Instructions. You will, first, need to make a note of all the Installer and User Settings; then set everything to default (Installer Setup Mode Item 29).

If that fails it all points to the base unit.

sounds the only way to go.
if i remember right it also states isolating the power for a min or so when part fitted to clear the fault code.

Thanks for all your feedback and help.

I'm just trying to source a new Base Unit. Looks like I might have to order one as none of the local shops have them in stock.

I also spoke to Honeywell technical support on the phone and they suggest that the most likely solution is to replace the Base Unit.

Will post an update once I have more progress.

I have managed to resolve the problem by replacing the "Honeywell Smartfit W4672A Base Unit". I ordered it online, it was with me 3 days later and took about 30 minutes to do the job.

Thanks everybody for their feedback and suggestions. I'm off to have a hot shower now... :)

I have the same (original) problem with my actuator and wondered if anyone could advise.

I'd been showing the F:04 error, but saw some advice here about switching off at the mains, pumping the actuator manually then switching back on. That's been working for a month or so as a temporary fix (yeah I know, I'm a lazy b**tard).
However, it's happening too often now and I need to replace it.

Could anyone give some basic advice on how to go about replacing it ? What needs draining first, what needs switching off etc ?
Is it something a non-pro can attempt ? (I can do some basic plumbing tasks)

remove the actuator first and see if the spindle on the valve is moving freely. if not then you'll need to drain to change the valve.
if moving ok just change the actuator.

look on the side of the black actuator and on one side will be a little white button push it in an lift the actuator.

look on the side of the black actuator and on one side will be a little white button push it in an lift the actuator.

Just to prove what a lazy ba**ard I am, I have only just got around to checking this again.

I took the cover off the actuator and had a clean up, which seemed to reduce the frequency of the problem for a while. Unfortunately, it's happening a lot again now.

I'm not sure if the actuator is at fault, as power is obviously getting to it and making it run when it's supposed to. It just gives up once a day and has to be pumped manually and the control unit restarted.

Does this sound like an actuator problem ? Ideally, I don't want to buy a new one only to discover the problem isn't resolved.

Any ideas ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back