Honeywell room stat causing boiler lock out / ignition fail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Excuse my interest in this thread. I have one of these stats and I'm having real problems.

Is it possible that incorrect wiring (as in pics above for example) could cause boiler lock out / ignition failures. I've only had the stat about 3 months which is when when all my problems started. Electrician fitted it (not plumber).

BG recommend having one CH not working smoothly ever since. I'm currently at home waiting for my 6th BG visit!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Ok now realise that picure is correct but not able to compare it with my wiring at the moment. Just for arguments sake, if my stat is wrongly wired could this cause ignition / lock out problems?

Clutching at straws I know, but frustration setting in!

Cant see how a wrongly wired stat(especially if straight swap) would cause faults like that it would usually work or not. i take it its intermitent fault.

Thanks for reply.

Fault is intermittant but only if controlled by stat. Don't have problem at all when set at max and only turned on /off by programmer.

Just checked stat wiring and from right to left as follows:

Brown
Empty
Black
Grey
Earth

This appears incorrect judging from the rest of the thread but don't know how the other ends are connected at teminal box.

How can this work?

A Very Baffled Pete

Sponsored Links
All very well splitting off the hijacker's part of the post. But now nobody knows what the hijacker's problem is :rolleyes:

Can Pete1001 start from the beginning please?

Please note rule 6 (Do not hi-jack posts.) - See here for the forum rules.

I am splitting off pete'a part as this is confusing the original topic

And now the photo which he refers to is no longer visible so its even more confusing!

Either move the photo as well or provide a link to it so that we can see it and try to help him.

The picture was correct and showed a Honeywell with :
1 = brown
2 = grey (with blue sleeve)
3 = black

Sorry to everyone for the confusion. I thought a quick question on a current thread would be ok but it sort of grew!

Basically boiler lock out problems since fitting roomstat. Been ongoing for 5 weeks and 5 BG call out (should have been 6 but todays visit cancelled). Various parts replaced to no avail.

System works fine if stat turned to max and control via timer only.

The point of the post was to see if a wiring error could cause such a problem.

If anyone else can throw any light it would be most welcome.

Pete

The point of the post was to see if a wiring error could cause such a problem.
Possibly, but we are still in the dark about your system

Make and model of boiler
S or Y plan (if not a combi)
Make and model of thermostat
Make and model of timer/programmer
etc

if anyone else can throw any light it would be most welcome.
The ball's in your court. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the interest.

System as follows:
Baxi 80 HE Plus 3-4 years old
Honeywell 6360B
BG branded prog / timer
14 rads all with trv's except bathroom

Y system judging by valve but no expert.

Pete

System as follows:
Baxi 80 HE Plus 3-4 years old
Honeywell 6360B
BG branded prog / timer
14 rads all with trv's except bathroom

Y system judging by valve but no expert.
That's better! Now we are getting somewhere

Y plan Valves look like this, though W Plans use a visually identical valve. What's the make and valve number?

View media item 5946

Hi

Valve is also a honeywell - looks similar to your pic - but no number to be seen.
So far new pump, PCB and a thermistor(I think thats what he called it).

Pete

Core wires not exposed. Only way to find out would be to remove the terminal box cover (where the cable reappears).

Is it safe to do this. Not confident with electrics.

Pete

Core wires not exposed. Only way to find out would be to remove the terminal box cover (where the cable reappears).

Is it safe to do this. Not confident with electrics.
Yes

You will probably see a strip of wiring connectors (8-10 pairs)

Turn the power off for a few minutes if you would feel safer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back