Honeywell thermostat only heats room it's in unless it's set to max

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Honeywell cm901 thermostat. It's a wired one that sits on the first floor. When iset the programmed timer it only seems to work on the first floor. The radiators on the lower floor just remain cold even when they are turned to the max. The only thing that seems to work is setting the thermostat to constantly on at the highest temperature. Then the lower rooms heat up. I've tried to read up on how to manage this but can't seem to find anything straightforward beyond vague advice of balancing the rooms. Does anyone have any idea how to ensure the whole house is heated at the same temperature. My main concern is that the timer works for all rooms not just the one where the thermostat is located. And also I would like to avoid blasting the temperature at max just to hear downstairs (and incurring massive bills)

Sponsored Links
Firstly. You need to get a heating engineer to balance your system correctly.

After that you could look at the possibility of relocating the room stat to a more appropriate place. (Wireless will probably be the easiest option).

Or you could go a step further and zone the upstairs and downstairs rads

Hi Dan, I did mention that the advice was vague so if you could expand on what 'balancing the rooms' entailed that would be much appreciated.im not a heating engineer nor am I accustomed to doing these things so any elaboration would be helpful

TCC, I don't know what it means to 'zone'

Essentially, I've come here to get some direction as everywhere else I've looked provides advice based on the assumptions that the reader is familiar with heating/boiler terminology

Sponsored Links
Just get a local guy to come and have a look. A decent heating guy should diagnose within half an hour.
If all you get is power flush sales spiel, show them the door.
Ask them to explain where the fault lies.
Expect to pay a diagnosis fee.
Ask for a price to fix the issue once diagnosed.
Turn off all the upstairs radiators first and gradually open them a quarter of a turn at a time until you are happy with the performance downstairs and upstairs.
There may be other factors in the airing cupboard or in the boiler causing the issue.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back