Honeywell Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have just replaced a Honeywell Thermostat but the dial is working the opposite way?
It turns off when I turn it to 30 and Turns on when I turn it to 10?
Help please?
Here is a picture of the wiring
Many Thanks

Attachments

• 20240304_132411.jpg
    20240304_132411.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 54
Sponsored Links
Also the neutral wire is not connected
Does this make a difference?

There should be a wiring diagram on the case of that thermostat. Send a picture.
According to your picture there is a neutral but you cannot be 100% sure it is one without testing, (the blue wire.)

If you’re referring to the blue as a neutral then it only matters for temperature swings, if it is a neutral wire. I suspect the live and switched are the wrong way around (1 and 3)

Sponsored Links
Thank you guys
The blue is neutral
Shall i try putting this in first or switching 1 and 3 around?

Thank you guys
The blue is neutral
Shall i try putting this in first or switching 1 and 3 around?
Try switching 1 and 3 around first. You need to know if neutral is connected at the other end otherwise it’ll do nowt.

The wiring as shown in your photo looks right to me. Assuming that it is a T6360B. The model number and diagram will be inside the lid. For it to work in reverse I would expect terminals 1 & 4 to be connected, and not 1 & 3.

From the T6360B diagram below:
1=Live
2=Neutral
3=Switched Live

In any case swapping the wires in 1 and 3 over won't do anything to correct reverse operation. The thermostat is just an on/off switch and the two wires in 1 and 3 will still be electrically connected together by the switch regardless of which way around they are connected.

1709591639407.jpg

For accuracy though it is important that the switched live wire is connected to terminal 3 though, otherwise the 'anticipator' shown by the zig zag pattern will be on permanently so won't enhance the accuracy, it needs to be switched on and off with the heating.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
The wiring as shown in your photo looks right to me. Assuming that it is a T6360B. The model number and diagram will be inside the lid. For it to work in reverse I would expect terminals 1 & 4 to be connected, and not 1 & 3.

In any case swapping the wires in 1 and 3 over won't do anything to correct reverse operation. The thermostat is just an on/off switch and the two wires in 1 and 3 will still be electrically connected together by the switch regardless of which way around they are connected.
Just found this, which seems what the OP is suffering: https://support.esicontrols.co.uk/f...er-temperatures-and-on-at-lower-temperatures/

Can't the OPs stat be used in a cooling mode, switching on a AC unit or whatever?.

Yes it could, because terminal 4 becomes live when heat is not required. This is the position it's shown in on the diagram. Hence my comment:

For it to work in reverse I would expect terminals 1 & 4 to be connected, and not 1 & 3.

123.jpg

Here's a diagram showing the T630B with an optional COOLING LOAD connected to terminal 4

Last edited:
i take it that is a pic of your old one before you changed it

The picture looks like an old thermostat, so likely as was before it was changed, the order of the terminals can easy cause a problem, earth, 2, 3, 4, 1, 5, 6. is asking for problems, people expect 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc.

The anticipator resistor is designed to reduce the hysteresis, in some cases where the rooms are controlled by TRV's having a large difference between on and off temperature can be good. As to if neutral not connected due to that seems unlikely, but the problem is when the replacement needs the neutral to work.

If replaced with an electronic type, I have seen them with a switch, so default (with no power) can be swapped from N/O to N/C idea is when using for cooling the default is still off, N/O means normally open, it does not mean connection for heating, although it normally is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back