hood extractor fan noise

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
The extractor fan noise at low settings (1, 2) is very noisy. At setting 3, it's not.
I still have the original manual but it doesn't cover much.

Does anyone know if this is an issue with motor or motor housing or the fins around motor?

I've googled to find a way to remove fan fins from around the motor but couldn't find anything - pics attached - suggestions welcome.
Was hoping to remove the fan fins to remove grease and hopefully stop the noise.

Sponsored Links
Where's the grease filter?

It sounds like it is running out of true, due to either worn bearings, or weight of grime.

Where's the grease filter?

It sounds like it is running out of true, due to either worn bearings, or weight of grime.
The grease filter(&carbon filter) is in the background of the last photo. I changed that to new filter.

I also just spent a couple of hours degreasing the fan blades but alas the same noise remains.

PXL_20240314_151404186.jpg
PXL_20240314_151414041.jpg
PXL_20240314_151425150.jpg

I cannot watch your videos for some reason so cannot hear the noise, but often noise problems with those fans is the motor bearing behind the impeller. You need to take it off and WD 40 the bearing to degrease it then lub. it with a light machine oil ( 3in one or similar) What make and model is it?

Sponsored Links
I cannot watch your videos for some reason so cannot hear the noise, but often noise problems with those fans is the motor bearing behind the impeller. You need to take it off and WD 40 the bearing to degrease it then lub. it with a light machine oil ( 3in one or similar) What make and model is it?
Here is alternative upload: https://streamable.com/i0t7aw

I'm not sure if I take the impeller off that I can reattach it after. Couldn't find anything online about this particular type of impeller + motor setup but if you look at the first photo in the first post - you'll see a locking nut type thing. I don't know how to separate the impeller from the motor safely?

Hard to see motor model number through fins but it has printed on it:
SICO Italy K30RC001, TP 3v 120 watts, CLF07-98.

The hood model number is AKR 610/BR/GB
Type E011 K30A L S2 B

Last edited:
Sorry can't see that vid either must be my old laptop. Does the nut in the picture not loosen?

Sorry the MP3 won't play either, but if you want to have any chance of improving things the impeller is going to have come off. If you have had difficulty trying to undo the nut it may be because it is a left handed thread so try clockwise as well as anti clockwise. It's a grip nut meaning that it clamps to the shaft rather than the shaft being threaded. Having looked again at your pics, the bearing on the other end of the shaft also needs cleaning and lubricating. I hope you can resolve the problem because like you I could not find an exact replacement for your model. You would need to contact Whirlpool for advice if you need a new motor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back