Hoover AAA160 washing machine, drum not filling with water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently moved house and connected everything properly and did one wash with no problems. I think the washing machine might have been pulled out again to get in behind it but no pipes were disconnected. I've tried to do a wash this morning and the tray is filling with water but it seems to be heading straight down through the waste pipe instead of into the drum. I'm getting Error message 2 which means "not filling with water". I've checked the hoses again and everything seems to be fine - no blockages. Can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
So presumably you can hear the pump running to empty the water while it's filling? This must be the case as washing machines fill from the top, through the soap dispenser and empty from the bottom of the drum by being pumped out through the waste connection. So the water must be entering the drum even if it is being pumped out straightaway.

My only suggestion would be to try running a wash programme with the machine pulled out slightly, if possible. Although what you describe doesn't suggest trapped or pinched hoses I can't think of anything else to try at this stage.

There has been some water taken into the drum because the clothes are slightly wet but i can hear it pumping straight out through the waste pipe. I tried it with the machine out and didn't make any difference. I forgot to mention at one point i turned it off and on and then only cold water was coming in but when i turned it off and on again it then took in hot water. Not sure if that's relevant.

Raise the waste pipe up at least one metre.

Sponsored Links
My partner spoke to someone else today who also suggested raising the waste pipe so we tried it when he got home and it's working perfectly again so thanks very much for that!

The waste pipe is a kind of makeshift affair by the last owner that goes into the ground because the washing machine isn't next to the sink. Seems to be all ok now and hopefully the waste pipe won't cause any long term problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back