Hoover Fridge Freezer - 14 months old, completely stopped working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hoping for some advice please.

My son bought a Hoover Fridge Freezer (HFF 618 DX) 14 months ago and today it has completely stopped working.

No light in fridge, digital display on door is not working, fridge and freezer both no longer cold.

We have checked the electrical socket being used with another appliance and that works ok. We have replaced the fridge freezer fuse in the plug with the fuse from the kettle which we know works and that didn't make the fridge freezer work either.

Any ideas what else we can check?

Also, as it is 14 months old (bought from AO.com), will we have to pay for someone to take a look at it? Should we contact Hoover or AOL in the first instance? I believe it is only a 12 month warranty.

Appreciate any suggestions.....still hoping to save the contents of the freezer!!!

Sponsored Links
does the fuse you removed still work?

Does it have an internal fuse? The plug fuse is just there to protect the cable. My own fridge/freezer has another fuse at the connector block where the cable enters the casing (back bottom corner). Not the same make/model as yours but worth a look.

Thanks very much for your replies.

Just asking my son to check that he fuse that did work in the kettle still works after trying it in the fridge plug.

We have checked the manual and can't see any mention of an internal fuse. Would it actually be accessible from inside or outside of the unit? We can check with the Hoover helpline tomorrow to find out for sure.

I am also asking him to remove the fridge bulb as I have also heard that a blown bulb can sometimes cause overall failure. Removing the bulb can sometimes get the fridge working again.

Sponsored Links
Fuse from kettle has been put in the fridge plug = fridge doesn't work.
Fuse put back in kettle = kettle still works ok.

Drawn a bit of a blank.

There doesn't appear to be any kind of additional fuse as far as we can see. The power cable runs into the back left corner of the unit (botom half where the freezer is) then don't know where it goes after that.

Tried to remove the bulb but realise this is an LED bulb so not so easy. Have removed the LED connection, but everything is still dead.

Finally removed the plug from the socket and left out for 10 mins to see if somehow it needed re-booting.......still no luck.

Guess a call to Hoover tomorrow when they open is the only option now.

Anyone know how the warranty works? .....fridge freezer is only 14 months old.

has it got an on/off switch?

might be inconspicuous - check the instructions.

Thanks again for your suggestions on this.

Eventually we had to book a Hoover engineer out as the Hoover helpline were not able to offer any further suggestions.

Turned out to be a faulty PCB. Bit annoying that this should pack up after 14 months!!!

When we called the Hoover customer services we were offered 3 choices

1) Take out 12 month extended warranty £16pm
2) Fixed fee for repair £125
3) Call out charge only £65

Decided on option 2 and was then offered 6 month extended warranty for same price so went with that.

Still disappointed the PCB packed up 2 months out of warranty!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back