Hoover HNWL 7146 Washer Dryer Noisy on Spin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I've looked through the sticky appliances help but still a bit confused :oops:

The drum on our above machine (about 2.5yrs old) is noisy on spin, we have the hoover cover for parts (5yrs) but the call out fee for an engineer is £110!

From what I can research its probably the drum/drum bearings?

Does anyone know roughly how much these cost? How easy they are to change (Complete amatuer here).

And to test if it is the bearings? How do I do this?

We moved house in July, and it now sits in the garage, I don't know if the concrete block is not positioned correctly? If it isn't how to I correct it? If I can? It has started getting worse last two or three weeks not sure if the weather has an impact as its in the garage?

I'm pregnant currently so can't really do too much lifting etc :LOL: but I'm sure I can boss my husband around a bit :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks in advanced.

Sponsored Links
Could be counterbalance weights loose (concrete blocks)
Shock absorber legs loose
Drum bearings

If you can move stainless steel drum up and down then the bearings have gone. The bearings have worn through old age or you have constantly been overloading the drum.

If you spin the drum by hand and it makes a "grinding noise" your bearings are on their way out.

Sometimes better to remove the belt to test the drum bearings (eliminates noise from other parts of machine)

Thanks for the response its too cold to goto the garage tonight I'll try tomorrow.

Thank you x

I've got exactly the same problem with exactly the same machine. I have bitten the bullet and rung Hoover and have an engineer coming out today for the whooping £109....

I'll let you now how I get on!

Just some feedback already on hoover, their customer services is poor and I am already sick of them ringing me trying to sell other extended warranties etc, and they changed my engineer from Monday to today - they called me at 4.50pm last Friday to reschedule which as someone who works Monday to Friday and had already juggled my diary to fit them in, did not impress me.

Sponsored Links
Right, Engineer has just been - took all of 30 seconds to diagnose the fault as being the bearings have gone. However because customer services didn't log my complaint as I described (I said it was very noisy on spin cycle and they had simply written "not working") he wasn't aware this was the problem, so didn't have the right parts or enough time scheduled to do the repair. He's coming back next week.

The engineer was very apologetic, but I am not impressed at all with CandyHoover. Do they think that people can afford these days a) £109 for a callout and b) just to sit around and wait for a couple of weeks with no washing machine? I'm just glad I don't have kids as we would be stuffed.

Thanks Styo18 I've been too god damn lazy to go to the garage to check the noisy bit on ours but I think it will be cheaper to buy the parts and call a local chap rather than the £109 from Hoover with the joke 5yr free parts deal!

The man came - eventually and I am happy to say the machine is now fixed. We can watch tele without shutting all doors and turning the volume right up!

Hoovers pricing is a bit of a joke, and I refused to take out their warrenty at £15.95 a month which covered everything for 5 years (at that cost over 5 years I could buy a couple of far better washing machines!). But £109 has hopefully fixed it for at least a couple of years and was cheaper than a new machine.

sorry did i read that correct
£15.95 a month for 60 months insurance
£957 = a very nice miele

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back