Hoover Nextra Optima HNL 6166 FAO Zipper and others..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Delay Start light flashing 5 times .. I read that this indicates a temperature sensor fault..

I have a multimeter and I am prepared to have a go at resolving this myself and would like some further info to go about this..

I read a similar thread in which Zipper had offered and advice would appreciate something similar..

Kind Regards

Stephen

Sponsored Links
Posting the full product number can help us to help you as they use the same model number for several variations.

First things first what does it do when reset and first started, where in a program does it get to.

The more info provided the better the answer especially as error codes can be red herrings.

Posting the full product number can help us to help you as they use the same model number for several variations.

First things first what does it do when reset and first started, where in a program does it get to.

The more info provided the better the answer especially as error codes can be red herrings.

Thanks for getting back to me.

I select start - the draw and drum fill with water - door locks and the start and delay start buttons flash 5 times and thats as far as it gets

The product is hoover nextra optima hnl6166 - 80

thanks

thomo27";p="2017352 said:

I select start - the draw and drum fill with water - door locks and the start and delay start buttons flash 5 times and thats as far as it gets

thanks[/quo

HNL 6161 - 80 (31000881)

I have checked the filter and the drain pump.

Where is the heating element and PFC sensor located. I have a multimeter so can check resistance of the element etc

Is this enough information

Sponsored Links
thomo27";p="2017431 said:

thanks[/quo

HNL 6161 - 80 (31000881)

I have checked the filter and the drain pump.

Where is the heating element and PFC sensor located. I have a multimeter so can check resistance of the element etc

Is this enough information

Located the temperature sensor and the heating element - tested the continuity of the temp sensor and got open circuit - tested the heating element and got 1.20 ohms my test meter leads have a resistanceof 0.80 ohms so the reading was 0.40 ohms

So it looks like a temperature sensor however out of interest should the element had been faulty how would I have got it out :LOL:

The heater element should measure around 26 ohms cold. The NTC should measure approx 20k ohms (20000 ohms) at 25C, dropping to around 2k ohms when warmed to 85C. The measurements you got don't tie up unless the element is shorted. Did you measure values with an auto-ranging instrument? If not check them again making sure you use the correct resistance scale.

The heater element should measure around 26 ohms cold. The NTC should measure approx 20k ohms (20000 ohms) at 25C, dropping to around 2k ohms when warmed to 85C. The measurements you got don't tie up unless the element is shorted. Did you measure values with an auto-ranging instrument? If not check them again making sure you use the correct resistance scale.

I used a continuity tester which has 3 ranges which are 20 ohm , 200 ohm and 2000 ohm , on the 2000 ohm I get a reading on the element of 25 @ , on the 200 ohm setting it reads 27.5 ohm and on the 20 ohm setting I unsuprisingly dont get a reading.

The leads have a resistance of 0.80 ohm so that is to subtract from the readings..

I dont get a reading on the NTC

You won't get a reading on "a good" NTC if your multimeter only goes up to 2000 ohms. At 25C it should read approx 20000 ohms. That doesn't mean the NTC is good...it just means you can't test it to make sure. The resistance you got on the element is about right. But these models have had problems with a slight earth leakage causing the pcb to throw up false errors (not enough to trip the RCD but enough to cause odd faults). To check for earth leakage requires a 500v megger (multimeters only put out a couple of volts). Changing the element & NTC might solve your problem, they are not expensive. Note that although the NTC in the link says "Dishwasher" it is actually used on many Hoover/Candy washers as well. Check if your element has an integrated NTC or one mounted in the drum as in the links. To remove the element pull the plug, drain the washer, & remove the leads. Then loosen the 10mm nut on the heater almost to the end of the threads & tap it in with a hammer & piece of wood or similar to release pressure on the rubber grommet. Then lever out the element with a couple of large screwdrivers.
http://www.espares.co.uk/part/washi...107/0/0/487972/washing-machine-heater-el.html
http://www.espares.co.uk/part/washi...085/107/0/0/467861/dishwasher-ntc-sensor.html

You won't get a reading on "a good" NTC if your multimeter only goes up to 2000 ohms. At 25C it should read approx 20000 ohms. That doesn't mean the NTC is good...it just means you can't test it to make sure. The resistance you got on the element is about right. But these models have had problems with a slight earth leakage causing the pcb to throw up false errors (not enough to trip the RCD but enough to cause odd faults). To check for earth leakage requires a 500v megger (multimeters only put out a couple of volts). Changing the element & NTC might solve your problem, they are not expensive. Note that although the NTC in the link says "Dishwasher" it is actually used on many Hoover/Candy washers as well. Check if your element has an integrated NTC or one mounted in the drum as in the links. To remove the element pull the plug, drain the washer, & remove the leads. Then loosen the 10mm nut on the heater almost to the end of the threads & tap it in with a hammer & piece of wood or similar to release pressure on the rubber grommet. Then lever out the element with a couple of large screwdrivers.
http://www.espares.co.uk/part/washi...107/0/0/487972/washing-machine-heater-el.html
http://www.espares.co.uk/part/washi...0/0/467861/dishwasher-ntc-sensor.html[/QUOTE]

Hi Zipper thanks for the help

I ordered the NTC sensor and received it today,replaced it and turned the washer on - tray started to fill and then stopped , water continued to fill at which point I would expect the programme to start but it didnt. The drum continued to fill up whilst at the same time the water started to leak from the Element area

Im thinking that Im responsible as this didnt occur before - so It seems Ive cleared one fault but found another

What is likely to be the cause of a leak in that area

Rewind a little. If it didn't leak before you started...then it is something you did. Have you changed the element and NTC? Is the element seated properly & did you re-tighten the 10mm nut? Is the NTC seated correctly? Remove the back cover & check where the water is leaking from. Be careful...water & voltage don't mix too well :eek:

Rewind a little. If it didn't leak before you started...then it is something you did. Have you changed the element and NTC? Is the element seated properly & did you re-tighten the 10mm nut? Is the NTC seated correctly? Remove the back cover & check where the water is leaking from. Be careful...water & voltage don't mix too well :eek:

I only changed the NTC

I did remove the black hoses that run from the tray but they were replaced and no water leaks from those , I also removed the filter and pump but am sure they are connected back together ok- I only see water leaking between the NTC and the Element.. The NTC pushes in and 2 bolts hold it in - is it possible that I have overtightened the bolts and caused a leak behind the NTC ?

It might be my poor eyesight but it looks like the 10mm nut in the middle of the heater element is missing?
Did you remove it?....or am I going blind :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back