Hopefully a ‘Bread & Butter’ problem for one of you tv techies

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sony 4K Ultra led tv, KD-55XF8796BU. It looks like the mid, bottom area of screen has had a knock maybe Or more like pressure than a knock at bottom of screen, as there’s zero damage on screen to 100% be certain.
The lines etc are all located bottom central, flowing to the right of screen.
What can be done regarding fixing it? Spec says “edge Led” so is the screen stuffed or led’s damaged, as I’m guessing because leds are located on the edge ?
It’s been removed from wall bracket while decorating, placed on sofa upright, then placed back on wall, where the problem was found.
As I said , no marks or damage is noticeable, so it’s a educated guess to why the fault has occurred.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
The edge LEDs are the lights that illuminate the panel. It's unlikely they've gone faulty otherwise you'd have lost picture on most if not all of the screen. (No backlight = no visible image.)

It does sound from your description that the panel has flexed at some point whilst on the sofa. That's been enough to cause a stress fracture. I think the fact that these lines curve rather than are straight up/down does suggest that the LCD panel is goosed rather than just the adhesive holding the edge connectors in place.

Sorry to say, but a panel fault like this is terminal. Unless by some miracle you can find a donor TV where the panel is good but the T-CON or main board or PSU are goosed then it's time to call the insurers or go TV sshopping.The cost of a new panel will be almost as much as a whole TV.

Upload an image here if possible, just so what I think you're describing is actually it.

Sorry I went around last night , there’s no picture at all. No menu. No channels , just a few curvy horizontal lines

Sponsored Links
There’s no impact on screen . But that looks like it has doesn’t it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 87
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 86
It does look like there was some pressure, especially the 'X marks the spot' picture.

@Lucid your ‘Spot On’ no doubt.
In the ‘Heat of the Moment ‘ I didn’t notice the ‘Bullet Hole’ scene
Tbh I only noticed horizontal wavy lines at bottom of screen. But as your aware, I screwed up & didn’t investigate if there was any picture showing up on screen
But I also see a ‘Lost Cause’ but every other turn I also see glimmer of hope, then I’m crushed again as I find more bad signs
Like no picture gave me a little hope that it may be fixable .
Anyway.... if I go and put pressure on bottom bezel area, would that give any info?

Anyway.... if I go and put pressure on bottom bezel area, would that give any info?
We could waste a load of time beating around the bush; you asking if you try this or try that, and me offering encouraging platitudes but in the full knowledge that it's pointless.

The TV screen has physical cracks in it. It's f.... frightfully broken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back