Horrible chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our neighbour had just started using his chimney after having it opened and a cowl fitted during the summer. (nice considerate neighbour) :evil:

The problem is the cowl, the type that looks like half an upturned drain pipe, directs the smoke stratight at out property as were are on a slope, and the whole house stinks of smoke. He is also burning old rafters from his renovation works, something that worries me a little incase they have been treated and the burning is release poisonous fumes.

Does anyone know if there are any regs in force with regard to chimneys, their height etc etc? I will be ringing the bco next week by the way. ;)

Sponsored Links
To start with he's breaking the law if you live in a smokeless zone as all solid fuel fires must burn smokeless fuel, for example anthracite.
:LOL:
Have you approached him to tell him what's happening ? as he may be unaware of the 'nuisance' problem this has caused. Let's give him a chance.
Spigot hoods are not good to fit on pots using gas or solid fuel fires for the reason of smoke deflecton. spent fuel /smoke should be allowed to rise out of the pot not be drawn sideways.
:(
However if he is aggressive and tells you to 'F' off then contact your building control office at the local council offices, phone number in the book usually under the name of your council not under Building Control.
He may be breaking other laws I'm not aware of since retiring from building work.
Explain what he's done and what it's causing.

I only fitted them to dis-used flues and explained it has to be removed if you install a gas fire or re-use the open fire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back