Hot and Cold Water Extensions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been attempting to install a hot and cold feed pipe extentions at a care home where I work. I located 2 x 22mm pipes in the false roof, each marked with red and blue tape to identify. The cold (blue) pipe has a normal stop cock and the hot pipe has a gate valve.

I turned off the cold water stop tap, which in turn stopped both hot and cold water outlets at the existing taps. I then 'tee'd into the pipe and fitted the required extension. So now I have the cold supply.

My problem is that it would appear the other pipe marked with red tape and constantly hot on both sides (even when I turn off the gate valve) disallows my being able to attach a tee piece and as such, I have no idea how to connect to a hot water supply.

There is no mass pipework in the roof area - only the two as described.

The current systems in use are a mixture of three different boilers and hot water water storage tanks - all added to over the years as the home has been altered, extended etc.

Any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
Gate valves sometimes don't shut off properly, use a compresion tee and just go for it.

you turned off the cold stop tap & it turned off both hot & cold at the taps ??

Couldn't just go for it with compression valves as the water is scalding and knowing my luck, I would just finish up flooding the place.

Given that the cold water tap turned off both hot and cold supply to the taps, it is a bit like a combi boiler system - but the systems in place are old fashioned.

Sponsored Links
chances are that there may be a TMV on the basin taps hot supply - shutting off the cold supply will cause the TMV to shut down the hot supply to the basin taps

The TMV Valves might be an option given that it is a care home but I am still at a loss as to how I can tap into the hot water supply.

Is there anything available that can cut into a 22mm pipe to allow a tee connection?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back